Frequent Contributor

Hi folks -

I'm looking for some advice and thought I'd try here. A relative is getting married. We aren't very close, but she is my first cousin. Should I give cash? There are several items on their registry that are still available and I'd rather buy and wrap gifts (just something I enjoy Smiley Happy I'm not sure what the proper etiquette is. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Respected Contributor

If there is something on her registry that fits your budget then go with it...:-)

Valued Contributor
It's your choice. Do whatever makes you happy.
Respected Contributor

I'd go with the gift registry if you enjoy the wrapping, etc. I've only given cash when I'm stuck on what to give-

Honored Contributor

I would utilize the gift registry, I find it very useful. I assume their selections are things they really want and will use.

Valued Contributor

Yep, I would go with something on the gift registry if you can afford it. If not, you can give a gift card for one of the places they are registered. If you don't want to bother with any of that, cash is a traditional wedding gift so I think it comes down to what you want to do.

Honored Contributor
Either is fine.
Trusted Contributor

Buy her something off the registry if you like to give a wrapped gift. After all, the couple is asking for those things. It's not like you are going to give her something she doesn't want.

Frequent Contributor

Oh good! I'm glad to hear so many people say it's ok to buy from the registry for the wedding. I forgot to ask... how much should I spend on a gift? Is there a ""standard?""

Honored Contributor
On 10/30/2014 mewsmomtoo said:

Yep, I would go with something on the gift registry if you can afford it. If not, you can give a gift card for one of the places they are registered. If you don't want to bother with any of that, cash is a traditional wedding gift so I think it comes down to what you want to do.

I would give a gift card from the place she is registered or cash.

If you choose a gift off the register, it should be sent to her, not taken to the wedding.