Respected Contributor

AC4DAABB-795F-4A07-BB0D-74CBA3A77186.jpeg

We are to be wearing a mask in my state starting May 1st.  I will be wearing a home made one but after reading this chart I really do not feel any safer.  Unless we all wear the high quality medical grade masks and follow proper medical protocol, I am not sure if these will really help.

But I will follow the instructions and hope for the best!

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Wearing a mask

[ Edited ]

TPTB don't stress this enough when discussing masks- but it's most urgent to adhere to the other social distance guidelines. Those are proven effective- 6ft (minimum) between people, lots of hand washing and hand sanitizer. I also wear gloves whenever I'm out- and wipe everything down before it comes into my home. 

All these generic face coverings do is protect others from you, the graphic posted here says it best. Multi-layered or not! They're  limited in protecting you from others (unless you're wearing  N95 masks).

Regular Contributor

Please consult the CDC/your state's homepage for mask information.  Do not consult the QVC forum pages.  Too much inaccurate information floating around.  

Respected Contributor

Morning...just a quick info piece here for those of you who choose to wear gloves while out. Remember, anything you touch in public infects the glove you have on. That glove is dirty and you should refrain from using your phone, touching your wallet, keys, purse etc.with that dirty glove as you have just transmitted those germs to those items.  I see so many people using their phone in a store with the glove still on, placing it up to their face while the germs jump from glove to phone to face.  I think its safer to just carry hand sanitizer with you at all times and use it before you handle any of your personal items while out.  I have many family member who are in healthcare and they all cringe when they see this. The gloves are labled disposable for a reason.

Esteemed Contributor

Wearing a mask absolutely protects you from others.  I worked as a dental assistant my entire career and worked in scrubs, masks and gloves to protect ourselves and the patient!

A cloth mask is better than nothing and even if it doesn't totally block the virus, the infected person would have to be coughing in your face for it to penetrate.     Keeping your distance is very smart.   I didn't buy that regarding ( you only need a mask if you are sick )nonsense.    My schooling and work experience taught me otherwise.  They just didn't want a run on the PPE as they knew there was going to be a shortage. 

Super Contributor

The masks keep many of the respiratory secretions from spewing forth towards others.  If one coughs, some droplets will go through but most do not, or as far.

I wear a mask to protect others. In turn, those wearing masks are protecting me.

Studies I have read have shown that the virus has travelled over 10 feet, and the microscopic particles can remain airborne for some time. That is why one is to be careful removing the mask and then should wash one's hands.

Honored Contributor

@colover wrote:

Am confused about purpose if mask. I was told mask protect OTHERS from me. So if not sick why wear one? I'm beginning to see alot of people wearing them so makes me wonder was the explanation I was told wrong? Surely all these people aren't sick. If they are they should be home. 

My LO was infected by someone who was "not sick", and my LO's symptoms emerged at least 2 days BEFORE the CARRIER became symptomatic. 

Contributor

In my state (a "hot spot") it is required that we wear a mask anytime we are in a store; grocery, drug etc., I walk quite a bit each day for exercise and I put it on when I pass others exercising with or without a mask. I live in an apt building and I wear one when I take the elevator or the stairs or checking the mail.  It is to the point that everyone is now wearing a mask pretty much all the time when away from home.

Respected Contributor

Please be careful, if you are lining your 'fashion' masks with product that makes them too occlusive.  And, wear N95 masks, if you can find them, with caution. I know people are looking for them, but they aren't indicated for social use, while maintaining a decent distance from others and using other sanitary precautions. 

Occlusive masks, like the N95 are fitted masks, that interfere with breathing. They are intended to wear into an isolation room for brief bedside treatments, or care, but not for extended periods of time. 

In fact, I just saw a photo online of a totaled car. The driver had been wearing an N95 mask long enough to finally go unconscious, crashing into a tree. Thankfully, not into someone else.

I witnessed a woman in a N95 doing a power walk in my hood, when temps were in the 90s.  She didn't even need a mask, walking alone. Exercise of this type is encouraged. I was seriously worried for her.  

The confusion over these issues is worrisome and can be unsafe. We just need masks, or scarfs that will prevent our respiratory vapors, or particles from escaping to someone nearby,  in case we're unknowingly carrying the virus. If everyone did this, with lots of hand washing, while keeping our hands off our face, we'd all be protecting one another.  

Honored Contributor

@colover wrote:

Am confused about purpose if mask. I was told mask protect OTHERS from me. So if not sick why wear one? I'm beginning to see alot of people wearing them so makes me wonder was the explanation I was told wrong? Surely all these people aren't sick. If they are they should be home. 

@colover 

many people are symtom free for many days BEFORE getting sick, yet, they still spread the virus at this time.  Wearing the mask will keep others from contamination even if you think you are not sick.... just a good idea for EVERYONE to mask up for this reason.