Honored Contributor

Re: We're having a lot of road repair this year.

@OKPrincess, I don't do well with detours.

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@OKPrincess, I don't do well with detours.

I find the older I get it frightens me to lose my way.  Two weeks ago we attended a concert downtown so we took Uber. That worked out so well we are doing it again for another concert this Sunday night. It keeps me from driving. 

Honored Contributor

Southern West Virginia has major road construction on I-77 north and south between East River Mountain tunnel Exit 1 and Princeton Exit 9.   Only passenger vehicles are allowed thru the one lane area of construction on both sides, and trucks with campers, motor homes and tractor trailers have to take a 9 mile detour onto US 460.   

I think we are about 3 weeks into this expected 5 month project, and already more than 1200 tickets have been issued; mainly to truckers who aren’t taking the detour, but also for anyone speeding in a construction zone.   Traffic congestion on US 460 feeding back onto I-77 is a nightmare to say the least, with an additional 7,000 extra vehicles passing thru daily.   

I strongly suggest anyone traveling thru this area, be prepared for slow moving traffic, and if possible, give consideration to using I-81 and I-64.

Respected Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

It's so nice when it's done!  So this fall, it should be smooth sailing on a lot of the roads.

We're all going to be seeing a lot more road repairs as autonomous cars start hitting the market. The cars have trouble in areas where the lines aren't clearly painted and there are too many uneven surfaces. They'll be starting in limited test markets, which will help spread that out.

Respected Contributor

Speaking from experience: keep your windows closed. Lots of dust.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@RedTop, That was nice of you to let traveler's know this info. 

Honored Contributor

We can't even drive around this city or subs. Streets are blocked off, you can't get anywhere - you never know what's blocked off until you try to get 'there'. And this is all in neighborhoods, don't even get me started on the freeways.

Honored Contributor

They did some road repair in a heavily congested intersection.....we all breathed a sigh of relief when it was finished.  Now they are tearing the same road up all over again---SHEESH! Woman Frustrated

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

A lot of road construction here too.  Good thing is I can get around without going near it.

Esteemed Contributor

Plans are completed and construction is about to begin near me for a double-decker, large round-about. I love roundabouts, but cannot fathom the mindset of driving on the top level in Nebraska winds, ice, snow and frigid temperatures. This will be a long process to complete (several years) and I'll ultimately figure it out if I plan on driving to the West! From the plans, I do think it's a good plan . . . I'll not attempt it in icy, sleat or snowy weather. One of the benefits of retirement is being able to stay home!

Money screams; wealth whispers.