Esteemed Contributor

Re: Watching a show on whales, got me to wondering how many here have seen a wild

I've seen whales off the coasts of the San Juan Islands; lots of otters in Monterey Bay, along with harbor seals and sea lions; eagles and prairie dogs in Oklahoma; dolphins in several places; and, bears in Yellowstone park.

Love watching squirrels and birds, though I know there are those who have issues with squirrels and the damage they can do - understandable. I love to watch them none-the-less.

My husband's father was an exotic animal broker, when that was still legal in California, so DH grew up with a veritable menagerie of large cats, to med-lg apes, monkeys, etc. (MIL was a vet tech, so this worked out well.)

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Watching a show on whales, got me to wondering how many here have seen a wild

Whale watching, seeing bears in the National/State Forests, a Moose on the Snake River, dolphins, wolves, deer, mountain lion.........others but I can't recall them all as it's been many years that I went out in the wilds to happen on the wildlife.

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

Whales, seals, sea turtles, and other sea creatures.

Trusted Contributor

Last Spring we took the grandkids to the Oregon coast and we took a whale watching boat trip,very exciting.I have Moose mosey around in my yard all Winter eating Willow branches. I ran into one 2 years ago on the hiway,I was glad to have survived the wreck,my car not so much.There is a Bison Ranch about 2 miles from us,but we have also seen them wild and free in South Dakota. We have Elk herds here too but they pretty much stay on the routes,they do not venture down near people. I have seen Black Bears at local dump sites.And Grizzlies in Glacier.We see coyotes every so often but hear them howling most nights. We have lots of Deer,eagles traveling thru to the big lakes,and lots of turkeys.
Respected Contributor

Last January we went to Hawaii and saw them from our rental home swimming. DH would watch them for hours while drinking coffee. I lived on the Straights of Juan De Fuca for 35 years with a view of the Straights and Victoria, Canada. I never saw them there.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm beginning to get "into" wilderness travel. I've been on an African Safari with a women's tour group in 2012. In 2013, I went to see Jaguars in the Pantanel in Brazil. This year, I'm considering Borneo.
Honored Contributor

Like many posters before...the Alaska cruise will afford you many opportunities for amazing wildlife. Whale watching was very special. Trip of a lifetime.

Honored Contributor

On 1/18/2015 Irshgrl31201 said:

Yes, in Byron Bay, Australia we used to sit on top of the rocks and watch the humpback whales come up from their summer feeding in Antarctica. You can see their whole outline in the shallower water and it is breathtaking. They are just amazing. They come within just a few hundred yards of the place we watch them from. Most of the crazy animals I have seen up close have been in Australia. Kangaroos hoping around, huge tropical birds, koala bears, and some beautiful fish and sharks while scuba diving the Great Barrier Reef.

All I can say is wow!!! Wish you had some pictures to show. Either way, Just WOW. How cool.

Honored Contributor

On 1/19/2015 Alter Ego said: I'm beginning to get "into" wilderness travel. I've been on an African Safari with a women's tour group in 2012. In 2013, I went to see Jaguars in the Pantanel in Brazil. This year, I'm considering Borneo.

That must be amazing!!! WOW again!!

Super Contributor

I've seen Orca's from the ferry on Puget Sound; elk, buffalo, mountain goats, and moose in the Black Hills of South Dakota and in Montana and Wyoming; bears in my own state while camping; deer, quail, pheasants, and foxes in my parents' yard on Whidbey Island; and raccoons, herons, river otters, and beavers in the ponds project off Thornton Creek in Seattle. I've never really seen the wild cats or other big animals in their habitat, though.