Honored Contributor

Re: Wasn't Sure Where to Post This - CNN Story About Pit Bull Kills

On 11/26/2014 kachina624 said:
On 11/26/2014 mousiegirl said:

The loose dogs running the streets can be picked up, but not going into someone's home to confiscate their pet dog.

That's what they did in Denver...they went door-to-door confiscating family pets. Some people sold their homes and moved outside the city to avoid losing their dogs.

Wow, whatever happened to freedom in this Country!

Honored Contributor

Sadly what has happened to this breed is unscrupulous people breed them to fight - they breed the most aggressive of them so they get a very aggressive result. People who know about breeding dogs know how to breed selectively to get the end result they desire. So then a few of those aggressive ones do attack people, esp. children, and the entire breed gets a reputation for being very aggressive. While it is unfortunate I can see the people who are in charge of public safety - seeing many of this breed running loose or chained up but still very aggressive - have decided they must eliminate this danger. It seems to me that when you go to almost all animal shelters the vast majority of the dogs there are a pit bull or a pit bull mix.Our HOA does not allow Pit bulls or pit bull mixes and my neighbor went to several shelters looking for a dog after her husband passed away. She had a very hard time finding a dog that was not at least part pit bull or shitzu (she did not want the long hair of a shitzu). Sorry I probably spelled shitzu wrong but my spell checker doesn't know how to spell it either.

Respected Contributor

Every case I see on Judge Judy concerning pit bull attacks & injuries are those of pit bulls that were trained to protect aggressively. So sad.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Esteemed Contributor

I am very wary of Pit bull dogs. But, this should not happen to any animal. There is a recent story of a Pit that was thrown from a car in a garbage bag. She was rescued and was dazzled an cut and bruised but, was adopted out by the man who rescued her. Thank God!

Honored Contributor

I cannot believe this is legal. Since animals are considered "property" (which has always been disgusting to me) how can they justify coming into one's home and taking their "property?"

I once moved out of a rental townhouse because my neighbors complained about my GSD, who was a gentle, loving animal and part of our family. The woman was afraid of big dogs. Management told me I would have to give her up or move. I moved.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

Laws like this are quite common in Europe as referenced in this article: "To briefly summarize, in Germany it is difficult for non-law abiding citizens to own pit bulls. Jurisdictions can also create a special tax for pit bulls and other dangerous dogs. Nürnberg, for instance, charges pit bull owners an annual tax of over $1,300 U.S. dollars. In Germany, a combination of federal, state and local laws restricts the importation, trading and breeding of pit bulls and often prohibits ownership by individuals with perilous (criminal, addiction) backgrounds."

I am opposed to destroying animals but there does seem to be a genuine problem with some breeds. I am not sure what a just solution is, however.

Esteemed Contributor

This sounds like communist. How can you take one's pet and destroy it??? Is this law against all humanity. Maybe they should destroy the owner's that do not take care of their pets.

Esteemed Contributor

I have owned two pit bulls and neither one of them were vicious. Any dog can become mean if they are not treated properly. This is just disgusting.

Occasional Contributor

On 11/26/2014 Matty6 said:

Horrible.

Matty6: Not if your grandchild was killed by the family Pit Bull.

Frequent Contributor

On 12/9/2014 elated said:

I have owned two pit bulls and neither one of them were vicious. Any dog can become mean if they are not treated properly. This is just disgusting.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} So true. BSL not only does not work, but it is discriminatory based on appearance. There is really no such breed as a "pit bull" -- and, as another poster pointed out, what about most dogs who are mixed? As for media hype, keep in mind that two things are in play there: most dogs referenced in stories have "gotten loose" (which begs the question: "got loose from where"?? In other words, they were chained dogs. Chained dogs = aggressive and frustrated dogs, and typically non-vetted and unsocialized.) By any common sense definition this would not constitute a "family dog", even if the dog is owned. Couple that with the fact that most media reporters couldn't i.d. a bullly breed from a Boxer and you have the makings of a good sensationalist piece: "Family Dog goes Cujo". The truth is usually much darker and much sadder.