Honored Contributor

Rarely saw these problems before 2 years ago.  So, they don't vet temporaries very well?  Who are they hiring...gang members?  Wouldn't surprise me.

I asked UPS to pick up an overnight delivery.  Doorbell rang, expected an UPS driver, instead I saw someone that looked like a member of a motorcycle gang, long beard and everything that goes with them. I AM NOT KIDDING!!  He was even wearing motorcycle boots.  At least 6'8" tall, a very big man all around. The baggy Bermuda shorts threw me off, though. It was around 45 degrees that day.  For those unfamiliar with what they look like, look up motorcycle gangs.  

I leaned left to see if there was a motorcycle parked on the street.  Nope, there sat an UPS truck.

Then, I noticed an UPS logo on his brown short sleeve shirt.  

I knew he was temporary when I saw a driver standing by the truck dressed in brown with dark hair, but I didn't notice him at first until he moved. He blended right in with the truck! He was the full time UPS trainer.  I knew there was a shortage of workers, but is UPS really hiring motorcycle gangs?

In all my years of receiving packages from UPS, I never encountered a driver looking like this.  

Esteemed Contributor

I live in Podunk, very rural and a small UPS Hub here. While I think they do a fantastic job, they did fire a terminal manager a few years ago for theft. 

Items were at the hub and stolen before they went out for delivery.

One person, acting alone.

Esteemed Contributor

@Foxxee 

Too many people are adverse to working nowadays. I wonder why? 😉

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

Re: Warning About UPS Theft

[ Edited ]

Yes, they stole it at the UPS facility.   I was given the police report number to give to HSN and literally said that they hire just about anyone this time of year and can't check everyone's background.   They couldn't give me anymore information.  Yet, I lost the items (they are now sold out) and worry about my personal information.

Very unsettling. 

The packages made it to my city... but the UPS person decided to take them.  But then, they opened the box that was clothes and they repackaged it and put on a UPS label coming from that facility because they didn't want that item.   That's what the UPS security dept told me.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KatieB wrote:

@Black Cat Back wrote:

I ordered some items from HSN last month and 2 of the packages never got to me.  I also ordered something from another vendor and it was missing also.

I got a call from UPS security telling me that the packages (along with 70 others from other people) were stolen from the facility in my city.  HSN refunded me thank goodness.   However, UPS tells me that they hire a lot of people this time of year, and they don't do a lot of checks on their background.  

The odd thing is, one package came to me from the other vendor (not HSN) and it was not in its company box.  It was reboxed and a label was put on from UPS as the return address.   My contact at UPS said they probably didn't want the items so they repackaged them.  Unreal.  They go to the trouble of doing that?  

I am most worried about the packing slip being in the packages with my name, address and customer information.  HSN assured me that my method of payment is not listed.  

I have the police investigation number from UPS.

This is a warning for all of you.  This isn't just going on in my state.  Please track your packages and if you notice something amiss, call UPS and the vendor.  

Just upsets me so that you cannot trust anyone anywhere these days.

PLEASE NOTE:  THIS OCCURED AT THE UPS FACILITY.  SOMEONE THEY HIRED DID THIS ON THE JOB.

UPS said that it was someone they hired that did this????

@Black Cat Back 

To answer your question directly, yes... a UPS employee stole the packages at the facility

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Are people still getting paid for staying home? I thought that ended. @hckynutjohn 

Respected Contributor

@DrKelli  wrote:

completely agreet!  Especially the Amazon delivery people.  The regular UPS delivery person actually does ring the doorbell. But I watch the tracking like a hawk.  I've lived in my house 16 years and this is the first year that I've ever had anything stolen and it was a box of dog food.

It's crazy that Amazon drivers do not ring the door bell to let you know a package has been delivered!  I have a ring doorbell and they just drop the package and leave.  I live in a apartment building and just last week the neighbor across the hall from me had a package stolen from his door. He noticed my ring and ask if I got the video so I let him see my video that showed a delivery person dropping off a package in the building near the time of the theft but my ring had stopped recording after he was seen and did not start recording again until the package was missing.  It was a Christmas present for his wife. The Christmas Holidays tend to bring out some of the worst people who's only goal is to steal from others !

Honored Contributor

My husband works for UPS and yes this kind of theft does happen. But it happens at FedEx and USPS as well. There is no magic bullet to stop theft in any company, especially at this time of year. Frustrating and wrong. I just hope they catch all that do this, and prosecute heavily.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Twenty plus years ago I worked with UPS on their hiring.  They were very picky back then, preferring recently discharged veterans.  But when it came to temporary holiday help, anything goes.  Good help is hard to find and they can't be too picky or they'd have no one, especially nowadays.  These temps aren't allowed to drive and aren't often alone with packages.  They just scare people to death when they look through their peepholes, like @Foxxee

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ 

Not sure, but they must be living ok staying home, getting money from some source. Now if I can only find that source to supplement my fixed income. 

hckynut 

hckynut(john)