Honored Contributor

The Purgatory Ski Resort near Durango in Southwest Colorado closed for the season.  Yesterday they announced they've had so much snow this week, they're re-opening for Memorial Day week-end skiing for the first time ever.  It's part of the crazy weather system that has worked its way across the country this week.  We had a high of 45° yesterday in Albuquerque when we should be in low 90s.  At least we had no tornados. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

We had over a foot of heavy wet snow last night. I spent a good part of the morning shoveling. It was heavy! Trees all over town are down and I have some pretty hefty branches laying on the ground. No damages to surrounding areas, tg. Some branches are broken but still attached so I'll need some help getting those taken off. There is still snow on the ground and it's cold, about 35' and going to freeze tonight. It's springtime in the Rockies.Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee.  I had my heat turned off, swamp cooler turned on last Friday.  You have to make an appointment 2 weeks in advance to get someone out.  I've been wrapped in a sweatshirt and Barefoot Dreams cardigan yesterday and today with my Duraflame heater cranked up.  Thankfully, it will warm up at the end of the week.  I'm so glad I don't have to contend with snow or tornados.  I feel for those poor victims in the Mid-west.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

NO. Just NO.

Honored Contributor

Re: Want to Go Skiing?

[ Edited ]

How cold has it been there? @Kachina624 

My furnace has been running for the past few days. It's been unseasonably cold here. 

CC had their graduation ceremony last Sunday and Oprah was there. I did not attend.  I think that makes her second time attending. The weather was nice that day and there was quite a crowd.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

No thanks! I'll stick with what I can do well, and that is ice skating. Will be heading to the rink tomorrow for a 2 hour skate, love it!! One of the older guys I see skating(82) still likes to  ski. He has been doing it most of his life so he is probably safe, to a certain extent.

Me, on the other hand! Many of my hockey friends wanted me to take up skiing. My answer: "I have enough injuries from the things I love doing(running and ice skating), that put me out of commission. Why would I risk wanting to do this, get hurt and not be able to skate or run? I didn't, end of my skiing story.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I'm not a snow/cold weather person.  The thought of snow and freezing temps makes me nauseous in the winter. 

I can't even imagine what it's like in the month of May!

We are experiencing cooler temps now at the Jersey Shore and I look forward to the holiday weekend which will be quite comfortable. 

I'm just getting used to this area, our second summer here, but loving the temps.  Always a breeze out back! 

Right now it feels like a warm winter day at home (50's/60's).

Honored Contributor

On Saturday, I thoroughly cleaned out my fireplace for the year.  Washed and polished the glass doors and everything.  For the past two nights, I’ve felt like it would be nice to have a fire.  But no...not going to dirty it up again!

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624, that sounds like fun.  We do a ski trip once a year usually in Feb.  Some years even in Feb the slopes are getting a little ratty on the lower trails, but I also don't like the cold so I don't want to be there when it's frigid.  Once they didn't even open the lifts until around lunch because it was too cold.  I was miserable.  It's currently in the 90's here, and I'm trying to trim hollies in this heat.  

Trusted Contributor

Here in Utah it's been raining for 4 days, and is going to rain until next Friday. In the mountains their saying another 2 feet. That makes 700 inches at Snowbird for this year. A new record. And yes we are still skiing maybe until July 4th.