Honored Contributor

@momtochloe wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

If I have just a few things I dont mind using self check at our grocery store,HEB....

But at Walmart there are always long lines, and only one or two manned cashiers and long lines at self check...and it never fails at self check---something wont scan and waiting for someone to help takes a long time....At Target lots  of manned cashiers but long lines at both manned and self check...the Target does a booming business...

@Spurt  my friend, I couldn't agree more.  When I first moved here, even though it wasn't a huge move geographically it still took me a bit to get the lay of the land.  The first place I found was a huge WM which I didn't have by my previous address.  I was so pleased when I first started shopping there and couldn't understand the criticism I had heard.  Fast forward a couple of months . . . oh now I get it.  Whether you were in self serve (a disaster) or getting in line (better bring your own chair) I quickly located the Target's around here and now all is well.  Lots of check out options and always pleasant people around to assist if you need help.

@momtochloe 

ITA....I can just be browsing at Target and an employee that's passing by greets me and asks if they can help me find something, I thank them and say I'm just browsing, nice pleasant employees at the register too.....Sharp contrast to Walmart where I've encountered rude employees, they even argue amongst themselves... WalMart is always last resort for me

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

We live in a very small town and Walmart is the only store we have now, department type store and grocery.

Walmart ran all other stores out of the town. We do have Krogers also for groceries.

I only use the self checkout when I do not have alot of things in the cart.

We do not have the many stores that others talk about in these forums!  Smiley Sad

The item I tried to return and it was over 90 days, I had stuck in a drawer and forgot about it. So now I guess I am stuck with it. Lesson learned!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Esteemed Contributor

@Sunshine Kate 

I totally agree. I'm the customer - not the cashier. It's enough that I have to remember to bring bags (which I always forget to do) - or pay for bags at check-out.

Respected Contributor

Costco has been trying self check outs in certain stores, not at my costco yet. Also a self order at their food court . This should be interesting. Read Mc Donalds inside the store will be self order & pay then just go to the counter for pick up. I understand Costco because wait so long in lines but I like looking in their carts & see things I never knew the store had. Oh let's not forget we can order on line with fast food & groceries & just pick up. I like going inside the stores & look around but understand families with kids, working or even have trouble walking this is a God send for them. We can choose the way we shop & now check out. It's our choice.

Respected Contributor
I went to Walmart last week and never fails I get behind grocery people with my two items. I went to lawn and garden area since I have usually had better luck there but got behind one with issues. I am usually a Target person but needed something there.
How can this self checkout stuff work at Walmart?
Respected Contributor

@twins mom LOL oh I have done at check out see they person behind me with 3 items say Oh just go ahead of me and then something going on need price check or something what I was being nice now more time. My husband just looks at me & I know he is thinking what is going on why did you let this person ahead of you now this. I just laugh.

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

Color me old fashioned or just old but I don't do self checks.  One it takes jobs away from people. And I don't trust myself to do it right   I don't like scanning fruit or vegetables or whatever is not in a package.  And I just want to be treated as a customer not a worker.  If this continues they ought to lower the prices because they are not paying anyone... 

@bonnielu   @CherryHugs 

Ditto .... and I have no qualms about speaking loudly in the checkout area, asking for the Manager on duty and telling them we need more cashiers.   Once he proudly  told me their store would become the first cashier-less store in the nation and "customers will get used to the new trend".

Yeah, right.

I told him GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE meant servicing their customers checkouts .....  and what would be next .... maybe making us help unload their trucks?    I was hopping mad, several customers in the cashiers lines also spoke up .....  and I finally achieved my goal ....  I embarrassed him into opening more cashier checkout lines for us on the spot

(Five customers thanked me after the "shouting" was over .... LOL)

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 

I'd also rather wait in line, but when the time waiting in line exceeds the time spent shopping in the store, they need to re-think their checkout procedures!

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@bonnielu wrote:

Color me old fashioned or just old but I don't do self checks.  One it takes jobs away from people. And I don't trust myself to do it right   I don't like scanning fruit or vegetables or whatever is not in a package.  And I just want to be treated as a customer not a worker.  If this continues they ought to lower the prices because they are not paying anyone... 

@bonnielu   @CherryHugs 

Ditto .... and I have no qualms about speaking loudly in the checkout area, asking for the Manager on duty and telling them we need more cashiers.   Once he proudly  told me their store would become the first cashier-less store in the nation and "customers will get used to the new trend".

Yeah, right.

I told him GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE meant servicing their customers checkouts .....  and what would be next .... maybe making us help unload their trucks?    I was hopping mad, several customers in the cashiers lines also spoke up .....  and I finally achieved my goal ....  I embarrassed him into opening more cashier checkout lines for us on the spot

(Five customers thanked me after the "shouting" was over .... LOL)

@Tinkrbl44 

I hear you....I got mad and spoke out loud at the grocery store how it didn't make sense for them to have 8 ExpressCheckouts plus Self Check for those with small orders (10 or 15 items or less) yet only 4 Checkouts for those with large orders which were backed up with long lines....The Manager overheard me and immediately opened a register and pointed to me and said "ma'm I can take you over here".....I even got to cut in line Woman LOL I guess it goes to show you, these days customers have to make DEMANDS to get good customer service .

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I was in CVS about a year ago. There was one cashier and she kept telling everyone to go to the self checkouts. She motioned me to the checkout and proceeded to tell me what to do. I could have figured it out myself, but she seemed to be doing it with everyone. Barking, do this,do that.

I left and have never been back to CVS.