Honored Contributor

Re: Walmart developing membership plan

@Snoopp wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ thank you.  I’ve been wondering about this for a while now.  

@Snoopp  Just wanted to say, this is from my grocery store, not Walmart, but I would think all would have something in place.

Honored Contributor

Memberships are not attractive to me at all. I live alone and I don't need to buy huge amounts of anything, especially to get a good price. I'd rather get free shipping, no memberships fees and pay for what I need at the time. I just don't like the idea of having to pay a fee ...for anything.

Esteemed Contributor

Isn't Sam's Club Walmart's attempt at a membership plan?  

Walmart can't even offer their employees a discount on groceries year round (only good in December, I believe), so why do they think they could offer discounts to all shoppers year round?

I've tried the vision center at Walmart and have been disappointed the last couple of times.  The last time I had to go back 3 times in 2 weeks because they couldn't just work me in to get my prescription right.  Also, it was much more expensive--about $100 more than what I'm used to paying.  They make it clear that those doctors are not part of Walmart--just people who rent their space.  The part where we buy glasses is hit or miss.  Some stores have great designer choices while others don't have much choice at all.  

Esteemed Contributor

In shopping for merchandise online, I already get free shipping from Wal-Mart for orders over $35.

I never shop from Amazon.

As to online grocery shopping, at this time I don't have a car available, so my opportunity to shop is limited.

I've had groceries delivered by Aldi, Meijer, and Woodman's. In the near future I'll add Sam's club and Wal-Mart to that list.

Regardless of the store, in my area, they all employ the professional grocery shopping services of either Shipt or Instacart.

I recently encountered a professional shopper in the store who pointed to two similar sized roasts, and asked me which I'd prefer to get. I looked over all the roasts, and he'd narrowed it down to the same two I would've.

Further, there is a way to specify your preferred substitution, or NO substitute, for each item on your shopping list.

Also, I add notes such as expiration dates on dairy that is acceptable for me. I receive texts from the shopper if there is any confusion about what I'd want if I were selecting in person.

So, as far as professional shoppers just grabbing things off the shelf, @novamc1 , they are fulfilling the specifics of the order. Not everyone adds notes instructing them to "dig thru" to the back of the shelf.

Refrigerated and frozen goods are shopped last.

@gardenman , my meds are delivered via a courier service. The "any questions for pharmacist?" is done on the phone when scheduling the delivery. And, I can always call the pharmacy with a question at a later time.

But...

I do envision food shoppers using a camera to allow customers to give approval on their produce in the near future...because if I ran the shopping business, I'd do that.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use both WalMart and Shipt/Target for same day grocery delivery.  These I usually order with a three to four hour window of delivery.  I specify that cold foods must be cold and use by dates one week from purchase. Also use Boxed and Amazon for some staples deliveries.

I really have been pleased with the orders.  I cannot longer pick up heavy bags or boxes to carry from car into the house.   As they are getting the orders ready, I often get calls from store people if my item is not available - then offer suggestions for substitutions or take it off the list.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

I have a Wal-Mart Superstore near me, I hardly ever go. No matter what time of day or week ( I go as soon as the store is opened), it's a zoo! The people that shop there are rude, and don't get me started on the parking lot!

@Jordan2 , Your Wal-Mart, and every other store, reflects the neighborhood it's located in.

It's that simple.

Put a pin in a map for any store. The people they hire and those who shop there will mostly come from a limited radius.

I prefer to shop at either of two Wal-Mart's. They are 16mile  and 25mile round trips for me. There are four others, closer, which I avoid.

It's not the store. It's the location that draws what causes it to be difficult and stressful to shop there.

Honored Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

Our grocery does a big business in home delivery.  I am thinking of trying it or at least the pickup option.  I worry about keeping the cold items cold though.  

@Snoopp 

With Instacart when your shopper is finished you get message that your cold items are being kept in a temperatue conrtrolled containers until time of delivery and the delivery drivers use insulated bags....At least thats what Ive experienced everything was nice cold, no melted ice cream, frozen foods etc etc...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@novamc1  @BrandiDavis 

I use Instacart for grocery delivery a lot for what is basically our main grocery store chain, HEB... ...especially when I need heavy items like 30 lb bags of kitty litter, laundry soap  etc etc....I was hesistant with things like produce, deli orders etc......but gave it a try.....

These shoppers are well trained they ALWAYS check for the farthest expiration dates, pick the best produce, and if its out of stock you can select a replacement item on your list or they can call you to advise what's available.... 

I have ALWAYS received excellent service and have been very pleased and got EXACTLY what I ordered and it was as if I had shopped at the store myself...They always ask you rate your shopper and driver (sometimes they can be the same person, most of the time its a different person from shopper and delivery driver...)

Now this was Instacart and I dont know what other shopping/delivery store services are like---like Shipt, or Favor or Amazon'a Whole Foods Delivery Service etc...And am not excited about Walmart's produce selection or deli offerings to start, so I dont know if Walmarts would be as good as HEB/Instacart!

I use Instcart with Publix sometimes. There are two things I don't like about using them. Individual product prices are higher than in store price pricing and inability to view all available products. They only let you find a limited selection of the products that Publix offers, even if these products are available in the stores. Instacart limits your selections.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mindy D wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@novamc1  @BrandiDavis 

I use Instacart for grocery delivery a lot for what is basically our main grocery store chain, HEB... ...especially when I need heavy items like 30 lb bags of kitty litter, laundry soap  etc etc....I was hesistant with things like produce, deli orders etc......but gave it a try.....

These shoppers are well trained they ALWAYS check for the farthest expiration dates, pick the best produce, and if its out of stock you can select a replacement item on your list or they can call you to advise what's available.... 

I have ALWAYS received excellent service and have been very pleased and got EXACTLY what I ordered and it was as if I had shopped at the store myself...They always ask you rate your shopper and driver (sometimes they can be the same person, most of the time its a different person from shopper and delivery driver...)

Now this was Instacart and I dont know what other shopping/delivery store services are like---like Shipt, or Favor or Amazon'a Whole Foods Delivery Service etc...And am not excited about Walmart's produce selection or deli offerings to start, so I dont know if Walmarts would be as good as HEB/Instacart!

I use Instcart with Publix sometimes. There are two things I don't like about using them. Individual product prices are higher than in store price pricing and inability to view all available products. They only let you find a limited selection of the products that Publix offers, even if these products are available in the stores. Instacart limits your selections.  

@Mindy D 

I understand what you are saying about pricing...one of the bad things about our grocery store, HEB, is they base their prices on whether there is competitiuon close by...so stores prices vary in our city by location...So what Instacart did was give us the overall average price....most of its the same as what I pay in my nearest HEB with a couple of exceptions....and they do have coupons available on certain items....

As far as limiting variety, they seem to have the popular national and in-store brands ..So I dont find Instacart to be limited........in fact, my coffee pot went on the blink and I noticed HEB had a Mr. Coffee on sale and it was cheaper than Target or Walmart...so I ordered it with my regular groceries....You can even order gift wrap, greeting cards, and items from the floral department....Limitations might have to do to do with the contract Instacart has with Publix versus HEB...

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I'd be interested in a membership, I find the Walmart Grocery Pick Up service to very convenient.