Honored Contributor

Re: Walmart developing membership plan

I'm a senior and in a compromised health condition.  I  ordered from a shopping service yesterday.  It wasn't as good as my previous order which was a few months ago, but I will "go with it."   I may have to do more of it in the future.  I will have to adjust.  It was nice I didn't have to go out in bad weather and also the virus issues.  I'm comfortable that I have a good supply on hand.    (I order from Amazon a lot and Walmart, but don't order "fresh food" from either.  I do like their fast delivery and free shipping.)

Trusted Contributor

We don't support Amazon and order many items from Walmart so this may be a good thing for my family.

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

@novamc1 

It's true what they say....EVERYTHING THAT GOES AROUND, EVENTUALLY COMES ROUND ....

I remember years ago when I was a kid when my mom shopped at membership stores like GulfMart (it was much different than warehouse membership stores of today---Costco or Sams Club).....

See the source image

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I don't remember any membership stores growing up.  Maybe they were more regional.

BJ's was the first one we joined back in the '90's.

I do remember GreenStamps and Blue Stamps, though.  Not a membership issue, though, but I remember the little stores where you would bring your books filled with the stamps.

You had to fill 50 books just to get a toaster.  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

I don't remember any membership stores growing up.  Maybe they were more regional.

BJ's was the first one we joined back in the '90's.

I do remember GreenStamps and Blue Stamps, though.  Not a membership issue, though, but I remember the little stores where you would bring your books filled with the stamps.

You had to fill 50 books just to get a toaster.  LOL

I remember Plaid Stamps too.  My mother saved until she could redeem for my first Bible.  I haven't thought about that for years.  Thank you for spurring a sweet memory.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@novamc1  @BrandiDavis 

I use Instacart for grocery delivery a lot from our main grocery store chain, HEB... ...especially when I need heavy items like 30 lb bags of kitty litter, laundry soap  etc etc....I was hesistant with things like produce, deli orders etc......but gave it a try.....

These shoppers are well trained they ALWAYS check for the farthest expiration dates, pick the best produce, and if its out of stock you can select a replacement item on your list or they can call you to advise what's available.... 

I have ALWAYS received excellent service and have been very pleased and got EXACTLY what I ordered and it was as if I had shopped at the store myself...They always ask you rate your shopper and driver (sometimes they can be the same person, most of the time its a different person from shopper and delivery driver...)

Now this was Instacart and I dont know what other shopping/delivery store services are like---like Shipt, or Favor or Amazon'a Whole Foods Delivery Service etc...And am not excited about Walmart's produce selection or deli offerings to start, so I dont know if Walmarts would be as good as HEB/Instacart!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

Our grocery does a big business in home delivery.  I am thinking of trying it or at least the pickup option.  I worry about keeping the cold items cold though.  

Honored Contributor

@Snoopp wrote:

Our grocery does a big business in home delivery.  I am thinking of trying it or at least the pickup option.  I worry about keeping the cold items cold though.  

@Snoopp  When our groceries were delivered, the cold items were in blue bags as opposed to the normal color. I assumed they kept those bags in some type of refrigerated part of the truck. Don’t know for sure just guessing.

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ thank you.  I’ve been wondering about this for a while now.  

Honored Contributor

I have a Wal-Mart Superstore near me, I hardly ever go. No matter what time of day or week ( I go as soon as the store is opened), it's a zoo! The people that shop there are rude, and don't get me started on the parking lot!