Honored Contributor

Walmart buys Jet.com

[ Edited ]

I really hope this doesn't change Jet.com. I have just recently started buying from Jet.com and really happy with the quick shipping and the low prices, often times they are even cheaper than Amazon for the regular items I typically buy like dog supplements and treats, human supplements, household products and food.

Jet.com is only about a year old so that was a quick sell off!

There are many articles about it if you google it but here is one if you don't mind links:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/wal-mart-to-acquire-jet-com-for-3-3-billion-in-cash-stock-1470659763

Esteemed Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

I really hope this doesn't change Jet.com. I have just recently started buying from Jet.com and really happy with the quick shipping and the low prices, often times they are even cheaper than Amazon for the regular items I typically buy like dog supplements and treats, human supplements, household products and food.

Jet.com is only about a year old so that was a quick sell off!

There are many articles about it if you google it but here is one if you don't mind links:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/wal-mart-to-acquire-jet-com-for-3-3-billion-in-cash-stock-1470659763

Wow.  When companies buy one another, that gives us less competition.  Oh well....

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

I only ordered from Jet once and never got the item.  Their customer survice was very good in giving me a refund.

Respected Contributor

What a bummer. I like Jet and won't buy from Walmart. That's done

Honored Contributor

They are going after Amazon.  They may have a shot if they can get the prices down.  I find Amazon isn't always the best deal in town, but they are good on the delivery end of things.  I like Jet when they first started and bought cat food.  Then prices went up and I moved along.  My mother's dog is on a special food and they sell it cheaper than anybody, go figure.

Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

They are going after Amazon.  They may have a shot if they can get the prices down.  I find Amazon isn't always the best deal in town, but they are good on the delivery end of things.  I like Jet when they first started and bought cat food.  Then prices went up and I moved along.  My mother's dog is on a special food and they sell it cheaper than anybody, go figure.

I am the opposite- I actually did not find their prices competitive at first, especially compared to Amazon-but now they have really come down and are often better than Amazon. Much of my shopping has slowly moved from Amazon to Jet...at least for now.

Esteemed Contributor

Both Amazon and Jet use these algorithms, to help them determine prices across vendors.  That's why prices can go up and down in places and so on.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

I don't have a subscription to WSJ so I couldn't read it but did go to jet.com. It says prices drop while you shop. Does anyone know what this actually means?

Honored Contributor

Re: Walmart buys Jet.com

[ Edited ]

@Bonanzajellybean wrote:

I don't have a subscription to WSJ so I couldn't read it but did go to jet.com. It says prices drop while you shop. Does anyone know what this actually means?

@GenXmuse you don't have to have a sub to read the article I posted- I do not have a sub to it and was able to read it.

It means the more you buy, the lower the prices of the items in your cart go. Not all items go down in price but many.

ETA: that is odd, I rechecked the link I posted and it is now saying I have to subscribe to read the full article. I don't have a sub and I was able to read it all earlier. Anyway, here is another link:

http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/08/technology/walmart-jet-deal-amazon/

Honored Contributor

Received a large Jet post card today.  I'll have to retrieve it from the recycling bin.  Didn't know what 'Jet' was at the time that I tossed it.  It's worth giving it a try, or at least checking out the site. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).