Respected Contributor

Walmart Food Recall

[ Edited ]

Bags of pre-cut squash and fresh green beans are being recalled by big-box retailer Walmart after a routine test on the produce revealed a possible Listeria monocytogenes contamination. According to the FDA, the recall affects around 200 cases of 12-ounce and 32-ounce bags of green beans as well as 16-ounce bags of butternut squash cubes.

Southern Specialties Inc., the Florida-based manufacturer that sold the Marketside-branded produce to Walmart, launched a voluntary recall after a supplier discovered traces of listeria bacteria on a "food contact surface," according to the FDA..

The fresh produce was shipped on February 17, 2019, from a single distribution center to stores across the Southeast, including Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and Tennessee. The products affected by this recall include Marketside butternut squash bags that have a "best by" date of March 6, 2019, with a printed UPC code of "681131122351." The green beans have two different "best by" dates—March 8 and March 9— with 2 different UPC codes.  The FDA is asking shoppers to throw out the produce or to return them to the Walmart store they purchased them from.

Currently, the FDA isn't reporting any illnesses or deaths associated with the potential contamination.  FDA recall info:  https://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm632027.htm

Esteemed Contributor

I have been told by my doc NOT to buy any precut fruits or veggies.  Apparently the more surfaces/machines/hands the food touches, the more risk for some illness. 

I have wondered about pre-cut meat, but doc said to

always cook all meat to well done and use a meat thermometer.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
I have stopped buying any and all pre-cut foods or any kind.
"To each their own, in all things".
Trusted Contributor

I'm so sorry to hear we should not buy any precut veggies. I love those little carrots and buy them often, now I'm nervous about it. 

Honored Contributor

@speedy girl @You can make your own.I buy organic and cut them in strips and soak in cold water for a bit.I drain and store in bags in fridge.They get crispy and seem to taste better than packaged stuff.