Respected Contributor

Wow!  I've seen this at my local Walmart and now a recall.  

7F3F9329-1D1D-434A-8E1E-E806D3AFF6A7.jpeg

Honored Contributor

Re: Walmart Aromatherapy Recall

Thank you @BornToShop!

Never would have known.

I read further and so far in  states-MN, GA, TX, and KS.

So sad.

I didn't get these but I can see myself gettg something like this if I still went into the store.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

I looked it up after I heard the news report. It's still being sold online. I hope that error is short lived. The stuff had a Better Home and Gardens name but was made in India. Caveat emptor!

Honored Contributor

I so very much wish folks would be careful re: using essential oils, (and also chemical home fragrances), sprays, plug-in types, etc., etc.  

Especially when babies/toddlers/pets/birds are living in the space. 

We really don't know how they allegedly might long term affect the small lungs of small bodies.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

This is a pretty serious recall.  The precautions recommended when handling this recalled spray is unnerving. Worse than the early days of covid.

Consumers are urged not to use — or even open— the recalled spray. Instead, they are advised to wear gloves and double bag the bottles in zip-top clear resealable bags, which should be placed in a small cardboard box and returned to a Walmart store for a refund. The company is also offering a $20 Walmart gift card for customers who return the product.

Any surfaces or fabrics that may have been sprayed with the product would be wiped down or washed.

Excerpt from:  msn.com/en-us/news/us/walmart-recalls-room-spray-for-rare-and-dangerous-bacteria/ar-AAPQsy8

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Marp   I wonder if they are offering this incentive to avoid a class action law suit....death is a serious consequence for using a product.

Esteemed Contributor

@phoenixbrd wrote:

@Marp   I wonder if they are offering this incentive to avoid a class action law suit....death is a serious consequence for using a product.

@phoenixbrd,  my guess would be that at this time their main concern is to get as many bottles back as possible.  A refund and $20 gift will be enough to motivate at least some purchasers to return rather than just throw out the product which, from the precautions they stated, would be potentially dangerous for anyone handling the thrown out product.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BornToShop @Marp @phoenixbrd @ROMARY @Vivian 

This is being underplayed. Melodiosis is very deadly. Without treatment, nearly nine out of ten persons that get it will die. Doctors here in the US will usually dismiss this as a possible diagnosis for patients that have not traveled to places where the disease is found. Only Puerto Rico and  US Virgin Islands have the germ existing naturally. It is not found naturally in the continental U.S. *

The room sprays were manufactured in a country in which the bacteria that causes the illness is found. There is a cluster of four cases here in the US. CDC suspected an imported product because none of the persons reported traveling to places where the bacteria is found. Two of the four cases have already died. 

There is more than one type of medodiosis, depending on where it is attacking the body. With treatment,  almost four out of ten persons will die. Treatment in intensive care can reduce the death rate to two out of ten.

Suspected pathogens must legally be sent to the CDC for testing. 

This ain't your garden variety bacteria folks.

*This information is coming from the CDC

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiBpKTQ2eDzAhVZSzABHUB9CVIQ...

Honored Contributor

@phoenixbrd @I don't think Walmart wants people dying even if they weren't facing lawsuits. 

Honored Contributor

Weird how it looks kind of nice, high quality. It doesn't look like something sold at dollar general or something cooked up in someone's basement.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr