Esteemed Contributor

@Graydoxiechick  In VA our Governor who has suggested them may soon require them when out in public.  We won't have a choice.

Trusted Contributor

Nearly every place in my area requires a mask to enter.  I am grateful that everyone is doing that to protect all of us.

Honored Contributor
@reddixiechick I'd rather breathe in my spit than someone else's droplets. Hence I'll keep wearing a mask when I'm out.
Honored Contributor

Esteemed Contributor

@Graydoxiechick wrote:

Can’t believe all you people with the masks,if you read the doctors say it pushes up your body temperature and you are breathing your own spit, my doctors suggest just hand washing and there will be no second wave, stop watching too much panic news.

Best of luck to you and your doctors!  I choose to follow the recommendations of many doctors like Dr. Fauci who is a leading expert in infectious diseases with 50 years experience in this field.  Panic news?!  Aren't you aware of how many have contracted and/or died from this worldwide? 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

If people were breathing their spittle, we'd have mask-induced drowning deaths to add to the day's fatalities. The anti-maskers would have been on that like nuts on a sundae.

I suspect any studies on masks elevating body temp were done with medical-grade masks, N95s and their ilk, and not our homemade versions.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
@reddixiechick I'd rather breathe in my spit than someone else's droplets. Hence I'll keep wearing a mask when I'm out.

I also wear one while out.  My kids tooSmiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Thank you for mentioning that Walgreen's had some masks available. I have been looking for the paper masks as I am having such a hard time with my cloth ones. I don't go out often but I will go check my local Walgreen's. 

Esteemed Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

If people were breathing their spittle, we'd have mask-induced drowning deaths to add to the day's fatalities. The anti-maskers would have been on that like nuts on a sundae.

I suspect any studies on masks elevating body temp were done with medical-grade masks, N95s and their ilk, and not our homemade versions.

Yes, and likely for extended periods of time too.

("Nuts on a sundae".  I like that!)  :-)

Honored Contributor

@Graydoxiechick wrote:

Can’t believe all you people with the masks,if you read the doctors say it pushes up your body temperature and you are breathing your own spit, my doctors suggest just hand washing and there will be no second wave, stop watching too much panic news.

@Graydoxiechick  - I don't know about you, but I breathe through my nose, not my mouth, so I'm not too worried about breathing my own "spit".

As for some doctor saying there will be no second wave; I'll listen to the recognized experts on this and follow their guidelines.  I don't call being well-informed the same thing as "watching too much panic news".

The idea that wearing a mask raises your body temperature is also a fallacy.  It may temporarily raise your oral temperature, but not your body temperature.  I would assume no one is wearing a mask 24/7; not even those in the healthcare fields.

I don't know what "doctors" you're reading about, but I'll take the same precautions I have been.  That way I have no reason to "panic".  (And if I see someone coming towards me without a mask, I'll cross the street to protect myself.)