Super Contributor

I've mentioned before that I am a retiree who works part-time as a caregiver for the elderly. I have been blessed to have a very nice federal pension and if I did not have a shopping habit, multiple hobbies to support, and like to travel...I would not need to work part-time in my retirement. With all that being said I am quite aware that there are many not so fortunate. She had complimented me on one of my tops. She went on to say she like Lands End clothing and by the way she only shops at Goodwill.

Was visiting with another caregiver (between shifts) and this gal is very nice 70 year old gal working part-time as a caregiver. For those of you who are not aware, caregivers for the elderly and nannies are exempt for the requirement to be paid the federal minimum wage. I personally find this well, revolting, as you are asking someone to take care of the most important people in your life (your children and your elderly relatives) and we expect them to be so dedicated that they will work for less that $8 an hour. I basically said this to the other gal and she replied she thought $7.50 an hour was a livable wage. Not wanting to start a political argument ...I changed the subject.

But now, I have been thinking about this. How different we all are. I think, my goodness if I were in her shoes, did not own a car (he daughter drops her off at assignments), lived in my child's basement, and did my shopping a Goodwill...I would screaming in my loudest voice that caregivers should be paid at least the minimum wage.

I don't know that there is really a question here, guess that I am just thinking "out loud".

Honored Contributor

I guess everyone sets their own standards for what is considered a comfortable existence.

Oops, totally missed that this was meant to spur a discussion of mandatory minimum wage.

Honored Contributor

Apparently , the place where you work hires retired people so that way they are able to get away with paying less since these are people who are only working to supplement their retirement income.

I do believe that part time employees are not required by law to be paid the minimum wage, whatever it may be.I personally think a federal minimum wage is ridiculous - what a person needs as a minimum to live in places like NYC or LA or Chicago could easily support you quite comfortably in much of the rest of the country.

Esteemed Contributor

If there was no federal minimum wage, what about states whose legislatures would abolish ALL minimum wage laws? The people in those states could be working for $4.00 or $5.00 an hour if they were lucky. {#emotions_dlg.confused1}

Respected Contributor

Isn't Jan 1st the date when minimum wage becomes mandatory for all home care?

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

I think it is appalling that people are expected to work for less than the minimum wage in this country.

Trusted Contributor

"...she replied she thought $7.50 an hour was a livable wage."

I guess it's a living wage if you live in your daughter's basement.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Regular Contributor
I am in Southern California and could not even begin to live on minimum wage... But I suppose like everything in life, it is all relative....
Respected Contributor

Nobody seems to ever mention the tons of people who have worked 10 or 15 years and are only making 20. an hr or less and they are skilled workers. Is it fair to them ? That someone who has no skill should be making 15.00 off the bat? These are usually office workers who are not making big bucks. But fulfill an important job skill and can not ask for raises. And have no voice like those who it seems have no skill and can demand high wages. JMO.

Regular Contributor
On 11/4/2014 Caravaggio said:

Nobody seems to ever mention the tons of people who have worked 10 or 15 years and are only making 20. an hr or less and they are skilled workers. Is it fair to them ? That someone who has no skill should be making 15.00 off the bat? These are usually office workers who are not making big bucks. But fulfill an important job skill and can not ask for raises. And have no voice like those who it seems have no skill and can demand high wages. JMO.

Who cannot ask for raises? Certainly being an integral part of the team and being skilled, should give you SOME bargaining power? If you are qualified and skilled with good work history, and cannot get a raise, why not try another employer????