Esteemed Contributor

Weight Watchers has worked for decades for millions of people.  Only now when it was tweaked with a new branding of "WW", new CEO and a new biggest shareholder, Oprah did it start to tank.  Keto is not the blame for this company's recent failure, there have always been other diet plans and programs which WW had to comptete with at any given time.

Respected Contributor

Wellness is fine,.but for people who want to lose weight,  Oprah does not cut it as an example of a successful program. She is very over weight.

Esteemed Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

A friend of mine who has maintained her weight through the years with WW, just walked away from it. Why? The new diet they introduced. She gained weight with it. She moved to that diet that has fasting periods and only select eating periods. Can't remember the name of it.

@RainCityWoman wrote:

A friend of mine who has maintained her weight through the years with WW, just walked away from it. Why? The new diet they introduced. She gained weight with it. She moved to that diet that has fasting periods and only select eating periods. Can't remember the name of it.

@RainCityWoman  If she maintained her weight "through the years with WW," why wouldn't she keep doing what let her do that, instead of doing the "new diet" they introduced?  

My guess is she wanted to try something new.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

@tropics21 wrote:

I read your post and was curious as to why your physcian said because of your age Keto would not be the diet for you.  Could you elaborate.  I am 67, started Jenny Craig at the end of November and have lost 31 lbs.  It is a slow loss 1-2 lbs a week, and expensive.  I did Jenny because I wanted something I didn't have to think about or prepare because that is my downfall, I don't have willpower to measure the right amount etc.  Anyway my 2 neighbors are doing KETO and they lost alot of weight FAST.  It obviously would cost me alot less not doing Jenny Craig, so I am curious as to why because of your age he said you wouldn't do well, I don't know your age.

@tropics21  She didn't really say age, but I don't know any other reason why she would discourage it.  I have no "conditions."  Maybe she doesn't consider it safe long term.  I'm seeing her in a few weeks; I'll ask for her reason then and let you know.

In the meantime, I'd encourage you to check out weight watchers.  You'll eventually tire of Jenny's food or the cost of it.  WW doesn't require a lot of weighing or measuring...lots of food don't even have points associated with them, e.g., eggs, chicken breast, shrimp, lots of vegetables...at least a hundred foods.  Go online and check it out, learn about it.

Keepin' it real.
Esteemed Contributor

I just have to say giving up carbs would just be the worse for me .  Could not give up pasta, potatoes,  and bread  if I did I would not be fit to live with lol    I find at least with ww You can eat everything just not large portions and that works for me. Just eating mainly protein and primarily meat is not my idea if a balanced meal.  Moderation i say.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

Just wanted to chime in here and say that the Keto diet is also about eating high levels of specific fats as well as protein, low carb (everything has carbs, even meat) as well as doing other things to check your levels, etc. I don't know Keto but, as a I mentioned, a close friend does and he's healthy, fit...doing great. A FAR cry from where he was 7-8 years ago....

The one thing that many of these plans (even WW) is showing is that high amount of sugars and grains that include sugars are simply not the best. I've discovered that grains make me bloat and gain instantly. Diary doesn't agree with me anymore. You would hate my diet (based on what I read in forums over what people refuse to give up) but I'm telling you, you WILL give up specific foods/ingredients if it means living a long, healthy life instead of being dead in a few short years.For me, Atkins combined with the Perricone plan with a dash of Paleo has worked brillantly for me. But that's ME.

Do whatever plan that works for you. I don't believe one way is the best way because we all have unique situations, our past health issues, allergies, etc. WW is simply a business like all the others. If it works, great. If it doesn't, find one that does. Just NEVER forget...it's ALL about profit for a business.

Meat contains no carbs.  It is made up of protein and fat.

I know a few people who have followed it for a time, and yes, it is high in fat.  High in fat, medium protein, low carb.

It differs from a Paleo diet which is high protein, moderate fat and low carb.

Respected Contributor

I went to WW for 2 1/2 years and switched to online in January 2018 when my mother started to really get sick and I had to be there for her. I am still tracking on the WW app, online and I have to say that I like it a lot. WW always gave the ability to eat anything that I want within reason. I was on Atkins years ago and lost weight but I could not live without some bread, pasta, etc. so I went out of control and gained the weight back. At least WW gives me sustainability and choices. I loved going to the meetings and will probably go back once I don't have to take care of my mother any longer. 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: WW (Weight Watchers)

[ Edited ]
  • It was reported that Oprah lost 50 million dollars. So I guess her endorsement or her investment has helped.
Honored Contributor

@QueenDanceALot  Correct about the meat. I went back and corrected my incorrect editing (which left out words). Thank you and @SusyQ for pointing it out.

The thing about Keto is it's heavy on the fat. I mean HEAVY. There are many recipes for "Fat Bombs" that sound delicious (peanut butter and dark chocolate and cream) but after having my gallbladder removed, foods that were once allowed that were high in fat but zero carbs now make me ill (vomiting) and so, I have had to to readjust what I eat AGAIN due to a medical issue.  It stinks but there it is.

Valued Contributor

Nope, did weight watchers, alot of work, and as far as tiring of Jenny Craig food, sorry, not me. I like their food. In addition, the weight is coming off nicely 2 lbs a week at JC, at weight watchers it was slow, alot of work, and yes there is alot of measuring, etc. There is a reason WW is failing, I saw it coming. Love JCraig. it gives me structure guidance and have lost 31 lbs in 3 months.