Esteemed Contributor

A friend of mine who has maintained her weight through the years with WW, just walked away from it. Why? The new diet they introduced. She gained weight with it. She moved to that diet that has fasting periods and only select eating periods. Can't remember the name of it.

Regular Contributor
Everything in moderation that's the key, this way here you won't feel deprived and exercise at least a half hour to forty-five minutes a day. As we know, taking weight off is one thing, keeping it off is another.
Honored Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

A friend of mine who has maintained her weight through the years with WW, just walked away from it. Why? The new diet they introduced. She gained weight with it. She moved to that diet that has fasting periods and only select eating periods. Can't remember the name of it.

@RainCityWoman, intermittent fasting?  There are a number of fasting regimens currently.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Weight Watchers has helped a lot of people, but not helped a lot too.  It is about $$$$$$.  It is a business.  

Maybe Oprah is killing it? 

Won't be the first time Oprah was for something that didn't work out well 😉IMO 

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

we have friends that are on the keto diet and have in fact lost the weight they wanted to ,   But they are starting to not look well and only eat meat basicly and salads , absolutely  no carbs though they say once you've been on it long term and have lost what you wanted you can cheat here and there.  I don't feel it is a diet that one can follow forever eventually the weight  will come back cause i don't see how  you can eat that way for life.   I've done ww in the past and it worked I lost what I wanted and never felt deprived and I think that's the key to long term.  Everything in moderation .

Respected Contributor

Re: WW (Weight Watchers)

[ Edited ]

I am a lifetime WW member. The WW stands for Wellness Works. Wellness wins is what they call the merchandise you can earn by tracking, exercising, etc. I am not thrilled with the changes such as not allowing leaders/ coaches to show their before/ after pictures, censoring people on their social media platform, discontinuing charms for milestones. The program itself has lost some of its structure. Fish, chicken, turkey have been added as free foods which you can eat until you are satisfied. I have always had a problem with portion control so I have resorted to tracking calories on my fitbit.  I hope they make better changes next time.

Honored Contributor

Re: WW (Weight Watchers)

[ Edited ]

Just wanted to chime in here and say that the Keto diet is also about eating high levels of specific fats as well as protein, low carb (everything has carbs, to eat no carbs at all simply isn't possible even if you're consuming primarily meat) as well as doing other things to check your levels, etc. I don't know Keto but, as a I mentioned, a close friend does and he's healthy, fit...doing great. A FAR cry from where he was 7-8 years ago....

The one thing that many of these plans (even WW) is showing is that high amount of sugars and grains that include sugars are simply not the best. I've discovered that grains make me bloat and gain instantly. Diary doesn't agree with me anymore. You would hate my diet (based on what I read in forums over what people refuse to give up) but I'm telling you, you WILL give up specific foods/ingredients if it means living a long, healthy life instead of being dead in a few short years.For me, Atkins combined with the Perricone plan with a dash of Paleo has worked brilliantly for me. But that's ME.

Do whatever plan that works for you. I don't believe one way is the best way because we all have unique situations, our past health issues, allergies, etc. WW is simply a business like all the others. If it works, great. If it doesn't, find one that does. Just NEVER forget...it's ALL about profit for a business.

Edited because my first editing wasn't complete. Sorry everyone! Gads.

Respected Contributor
I follow a YouTuber who documents dying malls, store closings, and other urban exploration who's done Keto for nine years and it works for him. He makes cooking videos too. I have Facebook friends who do Keto and they're having success. One stopped WW because she got tired of always counting points.

I'm considering Keto but there are some drawbacks for me--- apparently you can't have fruit because of the sugar and carbs, and I like fruit. I'm not a cheese lover because too much of it can make me uncomfortable and almost everything I see recipe wise has tons of cheese in it. The funny thing is, much of the approved foods I already eat, I'd only have to cut out breads and sugar.

In the end, you do what works for you, whether it's WW, Keto, paleo, Mediterranean, or just a balance of everything. Just make sure you're not miserable while doing it!
Esteemed Contributor

"Just wanted to chime in here and say that the Keto diet is also about eating high levels of specific fats as well as protein, low carb (everything has carbs, even meat)..." @SahmIam 

I don't think this is correct, maybe it was a typo? Chicken, beef, and pork contain zero carbohydrates ( as well as other foods). Then there are the foods that because of the amount of fiber they contain in comparison to their carbohydrates end up having zero net carbs. Not trying to be nit- picky, but I found that comment confusing.

Respected Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

I don't think keto is a fad diet.  People use it for reasons other than to lose weight and it's been around for a long time.

I agree.  There's plenty of evidence out there supporting the fact that carbs/sugar is the primary issue within today's standard diet...the issue is not fat - especially good fat.  Of course that doesn't mean you can eat any kind of fat or as much fat as you want...you still need to be conscious of how many calories are in fat...if you consume too much you won't lose weight!  There is absolutely no reason why our diet should be full of starches, sugars, empty calories, corn products, etc. except that it makes the processed food industry tons and tons of money.