Honored Contributor

I don't do the Keto Diet and I would never do it.  The true and genuine Keto Diet which is actually an anti seizure diet, is very hard to maintain.  It's very restrictive.  When I am in serious weight loss mode, I do indeed eat lean proteins, fruits, vegetables and protein shakes (that I get from a medical program).  That's "keto" however, I will once or twice a week allow myself a slice or pizza or something with carbs so I don't think of myself as really following a Keto Diet.  Keto is the fad diet of the moment, it's big business but will go the way of all fad diets.

Honored Contributor

I know a few people who follow Keto.  One said she certainly lost weight but in the process, her cholestrol went up 30+ points and that was the end of that.

The other people I know follow Keto it seems, whenever they want a quick weightloss for something.  Then they are done and a few months later, back on Keto.  

The woman I know who followed it and lost weight only to have her cholestrol shoot up said she followed it to a t.  The others I've seen eating no carb but the amount of fat they are eating makes my stomach turn and that's not what that diet is really about.

Esteemed Contributor

I belonged to WW a few years ago and kept most of the weight off but I got sick of paying for the same information over and over plus feeling like I had to starve myself every Tuesday to weigh in. I stopped when they kept changing plans and I felt I was being punished for eating a cookie instead of broccoli. I now us the Lose It app and that works for me, plus no driving to boring meetings. I can see why they are losing money. They need to do something to bring some life back into it.

Honored Contributor

WW is desperate to find a scapegoat in order to explain all the stupid decisions they've made in the past year plus. The Keto diet has been around for at least 5 years as a buddy of mine has a YouTube channel with this as the subject matter; he started about 6 years ago talking about it.

I have sung the praises of WW for years as it was what assisted me in losing more than 200 pounds (then I brought in Atkins kindasorta). However, the WW I know and love is NOT the one they're going on about now. I've left, those I know have left including quite a few leaders and employees. When we run into each other out and about, the #1 topic is the mess that WW has become and what a shame it is. My PC doctor and his colleagues no longer recommend WW to patients due to current program.

Trust me, if it wasn't Keto, WW would have found someone else to blame instead of stepping up and admitting they've taken the program down the wrong path.

Esteemed Contributor

@maryooch I like your attitude!  You can go to the meetings for support, but do the program that you’re familiar with. I know someone who is still using the filling foods program and that one has to be about 10 years old or more. So do what works for you and use the meetings for information and support. Also at the meetings you can pick up the paper trackers where you can track your food if you don’t want to track it online.

Also, with wellness wins when you track your meals or your exercise online, you get “wins” (tracking = wins) that you can trade in for goodies/merchandise. You can find out about it online I suppose or on the app.

And if you want information about the new program that you can’t get from the leader, call weight watchers. I’ve always found them very helpful. 

Keepin' it real.
Respected Contributor

I don't think Oprah or keto are to blame for the downfall of WW. Why would anyone pay for that when there are so many free apps to help you track diet and exercise? I guess if you need to actually check in to be held accountable, that would be helpful, but I imagine tthat would be very inconvenient (and expensive) over the long run. I find the point system much too confusing too. Tracking calories and macro/micro nutrients is much more straightforward.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

@JJsMom 

There are people like me who need the of community that the weekly meetings give, you cheer others on share in the victories and commiserate on their defeats

@JJsMom wrote:

I don't think Oprah or keto are to blame for the downfall of WW. Why would anyone pay for that when there are so many free apps to help you track diet and exercise? I guess if you need to actually check in to be held accountable, that would be helpful, but I imagine tthat would be very inconvenient (and expensive) over the long run. I find the point system much too confusing too. Tracking calories and macro/micro nutrients is much more straightforward.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

JJsMom

There are people like me who need the of community that the weekly meetings give, you cheer others on share in the victories and commiserate on their defeats

I totally understand that! I just think it would be hard to justify the cost long-term. I'm glad it works for you.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Valued Contributor

I read your post and was curious as to why your physcian said because of your age Keto would not be the diet for you.  Could you elaborate.  I am 67, started Jenny Craig at the end of November and have lost 31 lbs.  It is a slow loss 1-2 lbs a week, and expensive.  I did Jenny because I wanted something I didn't have to think about or prepare because that is my downfall, I don't have willpower to measure the right amount etc.  Anyway my 2 neighbors are doing KETO and they lost alot of weight FAST.  It obviously would cost me alot less not doing Jenny Craig, so I am curious as to why because of your age he said you wouldn't do well, I don't know your age.

Esteemed Contributor

@Winkk wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

@Winkk 

Keto and Atkins fall into the same genre of exclusion diets you exclude carbs while WW is about moderation rather than exclusion

@Winkk wrote:

WW doesn't seem to be doing well on Wall Street. 

New York (CNN Business)Oprah Winfrey famously proclaimed "I love bread!" in a Weight Watchers commercial three years ago. But carbs aren't cutting it for the company anymore.

Shares of WW (WTW) — Weight Watchers' new name — closed down 34% on Wednesday after the company shocked Wall Street with poor earnings and sales.
CEO Mindy Grossman attributed the problem to the keto diet, a popular eating regimen that makes bread and other carbs taboo. She said during a call with analysts Tuesday that keto is "becoming a cultural mean," and she even called it a "keto surge."
Wall Street is clearly nervous, too.

Does anyone follow the keto diet?

I agree @I am still oxox.  I prefer moderation.  My daughter has used WW in the past and over two years has lost 100 pounds.

Ohmygoodness, @Winkk , congrats to your daughter!!!!