Honored Contributor

Re: WOW ! nurses all across the country are very upset...

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

I saw The View that day, at least the part where Joy made her comments. I took it in the context of hosts' agreeing that beauty pageants were passé. They had been talking about parading around in bikinis and then moved on to the talent competition. Apparently, the contestant who's a nurse did some sort of soliloquy in her nurse's uniform. Within the context of talent, it seemed a bit stilted. Joy is a comedienne and was trying to get a laugh. The nursing profession should not be demeaned and I assumed Joy apologized, or at least was told to apologize, because her remarks could have been taken as a put-down of nurses. Certainly, in my experience, I've received more care and concern from nurses than from doctors, who always seem in a hurry to leave as soon as they enter the room.

So, Joy was being the comedienne that she is and people took what she said out of context and jumped to the conclusion that she insulted an entire profession.  So, her bosses made her apologize.   My husband is a registered nurse, several of my friends are Rn's, I work with Rn's.  I have great respect for the profession....which isn't limited to patient care, which some people seem to think.  The nursing profession covers a lot more than just bedside nursing.  However, if I saw a beauty pageant contestant who had no talent and was reduced to recitation dressed in a white uniform with a stethescope around her neck.....I'd make fun of her too.  She should have just twirled a baton....lol 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@colliegirls wrote:

The criticism was of the talent not the profession.  Nurses are invaluable in the healing of a patient. It has nothing to do with the fact that talking or telling a story is certainly not a "talent" on Miss America.

ITA.  A talent should be a 'show me'...not telling a story.  Everyone getting their panties in a bunch over nothing.   Everyone sitting behind a keyboard is hungry to rip someone apart today.  Joy Behar is just Internet Chum feeding the trolls.   Slow news day.  

image.jpg

Perhaps Original Oratory is/was her talent.  Now she has a greater one and she combined the two.  Not everyone can sing and dance a play an instrument.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Preds

That's true....then it's a slippery slope what 'talent' really is.  Just shows how wheel's off the Miss America pageant really is today.  Just talking about something is not a skill.   If I was competing, I would get my boyfriend up on stage & do 'Original Oratory'...wheee!  It's a skill, yes?  My 'OO Face'.  😝

Respected Contributor

Its very telling how some feel the need to defend an insult made by a so called comedian at the expense of a caregiver. 

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

I did not see the show - don't watch the view - but it appears Joy Behar made some uncalled for disparaging remarks about the nurse in the Miss America pagent and nurses in general. People all across the country are coming out in support of nurses. I had hundreds of hits today on facebook about this from friends who are nurses and those friends who aren't nurses  in support of nurses. It is certainly nice to be appreciated by so many. 

As for Joy - well, some day she will be very ill and some nurse and her/his  stethscope will save her pathetic life despite herself. Then she can apologize sincerely to all of us. For now she is just another jerk. The world is full of them!

Okay, let me get this straight ....

You DIDN'T see the show ......   but it APPEARS that Joy made some uncalled for remarks ....

Not to put too fine a point on it, but WHY are you starting a thread when you don't even seem to know what you're talking about?   

Respected Contributor

i saw the clip and it was a nice speech but the stethoscope looked odd draped around her shoulders. i just am curious about her saying suddenly it hit her with this patient that patients aren't room numbers or Dx's but are people?!?

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

I saw The View that day, at least the part where Joy made her comments. I took it in the context of hosts' agreeing that beauty pageants were passé. They had been talking about parading around in bikinis and then moved on to the talent competition. Apparently, the contestant who's a nurse did some sort of soliloquy in her nurse's uniform. Within the context of talent, it seemed a bit stilted. Joy is a comedienne and was trying to get a laugh. The nursing profession should not be demeaned and I assumed Joy apologized, or at least was told to apologize, because her remarks could have been taken as a put-down of nurses. Certainly, in my experience, I've received more care and concern from nurses than from doctors, who always seem in a hurry to leave as soon as they enter the room.

So, Joy was being the comedienne that she is and people took what she said out of context and jumped to the conclusion that she insulted an entire profession.  So, her bosses made her apologize.   My husband is a registered nurse, several of my friends are Rn's, I work with Rn's.  I have great respect for the profession....which isn't limited to patient care, which some people seem to think.  The nursing profession covers a lot more than just bedside nursing.  However, if I saw a beauty pageant contestant who had no talent and was reduced to recitation dressed in a white uniform with a stethescope around her neck.....I'd make fun of her too.  She should have just twirled a baton....lol 

Stand up comedians' comments  sometimes mis-fire .....  even Joan Rivers sometimes said things that weren't funny .....  but reciting something in a nurse's uniform is HARDLY what could be called a "talent".   

Honored Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

Its very telling how some feel the need to defend an insult made by a so called comedian at the expense of a caregiver. 

You don't get it.  Joy didn't insult nurses, she didn't say anything derogatory about the profession.  She joked about some silly young woman dressed in nurse costume, apparently reciting a poem or some such silliness. 

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Preds

That's true....but it's a slippery slope.  Just shows how wheel's off the Miss America pageant really is today.  Just talking about something is not a skill.   If I was competing, I would get my boyfriend up on stage & do 'Original Oratory'...wheee!  It's a skill, yes?  My 'OO Face'.  😝

tee hee!

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

You don't get it.  Joy didn't insult nurses, she didn't say anything derogatory about the profession.  She joked about some silly young woman dressed in nurse costume, apparently reciting a poem or some such silliness. 

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Thanks for setting the record straight ! Sounds like another typical case of reacting without knowing the facts. Very prevalent nowadays.