Esteemed Contributor

Re: WOW, WALMART EMPLOYEE TAKES HER JOB TOO SERIOUSLY

@sidsmom wrote:

1. Here in DFW Walmart doesn’t have an exit audit.  

Sam’s Club does, but not Walmart.

2. If other associates were stationed there before and casually did the nod, without checking purchases...obviously they were not doing their job.  

It’s not ‘taking her job too seriously’ if one doesn’t have a clear idea

what her job is in the first place.  If it’s like the many times I had

to do an exit audit at Sam’s Club, she’s doing her job exactly

what the company wants....and she’s doing her job well.

If other exit audit associates were there before, not doing their job,

why weren’t we just as insulted & embarrassed with them? 

After I speak with the store manager I fully intend to let you and others know what he says.  It is interesting that she is the only one who does this.  Hard to believe that all the others are not doing there job and she is the only one who is, usually it is the other way around.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@Equuleus wrote:

If you have a complaint, call Walmart.  Maybe she was doing what she was told to do.

As I mentioned, my daughter and I are going to speak to the store manager to find out it if she is supposed to do what she is doing or is she getting carried away.

@Lindsays Grandma.  Imagine how many shoppers sail out the door while she's digging through one person's bags. 

I was there Wednesday and as I left the store, the door "checker" wanted my receipt.  All she did was mark it with a yellow magic marker, for what I don't know since I trashed it as soon as I got home.  She didn't check my bags.

Lots of stores where I shop mark your receipt with a yellow marker. They do this because some people will come back in the store and pick up duplicate items and walk out of the store without paying.  If they are asked for a receipt, they will show the one from earlier in the day.  The yellow markings show that the shopper left the store with the receipt and they cannot use it again.

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@blackhole99 wrote:

I have never shopped anywhere where a store employee checks the sales receipts against your merchandise as you exit the store. I would not shop at such a place that would waste my time like that. I don't think that would fly in my area either, we have open carry and that kind of practice might get you shot. Either people do not shop lift in our area or every Walmart does not have the same policies.

@blackhole99. Our Costco checks your receipt as you leave the store. I don’t go to Walmart so I don’t know what they do. Also, I try to avoid states with open carry.

Yes, Costco checks the receipts, they don't go through all your purchases.  This employee has people standing back to back while she goes through all your bags.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

@blackhole99 wrote:

I have never shopped anywhere where a store employee checks the sales receipts against your merchandise as you exit the store. I would not shop at such a place that would waste my time like that. I don't think that would fly in my area either, we have open carry and that kind of practice might get you shot. Either people do not shop lift in our area or every Walmart does not have the same policies.

What?? I live in an open carry state and I have no idea why checking receipts would get anyone shot.  That statement is crazy. Just because someone is carrying does not make them trigger happy or a criminal.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@software wrote:

That's not how shoplifters steal

Walmart wants you to think it's about shoplifters

@shortbreadlover wrote:

people shoplift like crazy that;'s why they have to check.  makes me mad but i do understand

As one poster said, if you do it for one you should do it for all or don't do it.  The employee does it at random, there is no way she or any other employee can do it with everyone who walks out of the store at any given exit, there would a line a mile long, never happen.

Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

I haven't been to Walmart in a long time. Unless it's changed, I've been asked to show my receipt but not had them rifle through my bags comparing the contents to the reciept. That seems a bit much. I'm sure they lose a certain amount by people stuffing extras into bags, though it would be a bit harder to do, but I'd imagine they lose a lot more by people not checking out at all. I guess if they proceed to go through bags one needs to submit to the search, but I'm afraid I'd have to make my feelings known. The instance cited by the OP of the checker doing the fine tooth comb number to ensure the Pepsi was purchased was over the top. 

That was my daughter and she couldn't believe how that employee made such an issue over a bottle of Pepsi.  You are right, over the top, way over the top.

Esteemed Contributor

@cactusgal wrote:

2c53va.jpg

I would love to show the store manager this.  Can you imagine how one feels while standing there having all the items in their cart they just paid for being searched.  Humiliating.

Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

Asking to see your receipt is acceptable, going through your bags is not. The items in your bags are no longer the property of the store. It's no different than going through your handbag or pockets.

I wonder what would happen if you refused. Would they detain you? Grab your bags from you? Would that be legal? I don't think it would. 

No one in any store has asked to see my receipt. If they wanted to go through my bags, I would decline. If they attempted to detain me I would call the police.

Thank you, you brought up some intetesting thoughts.  I am going to write them down and present them to the store manager. Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

I haven't been to Walmart in a long time. Unless it's changed, I've been asked to show my receipt but not had them rifle through my bags comparing the contents to the reciept. That seems a bit much. I'm sure they lose a certain amount by people stuffing extras into bags, though it would be a bit harder to do, but I'd imagine they lose a lot more by people not checking out at all. I guess if they proceed to go through bags one needs to submit to the search, but I'm afraid I'd have to make my feelings known. The instance cited by the OP of the checker doing the fine tooth comb number to ensure the Pepsi was purchased was over the top. 

That was my daughter and she couldn't believe how that employee made such an issue over a bottle of Pepsi.  You are right, over the top, way over the top.

That bottle of Pepsi triggered the search. In the future, always make sure all items are in the bag before you exit the store.

My Local Walmart would have asked for a receipt too and you would have to produce one before you were allowed to leave.  It also might cause them to check your receipt against the items in the bag.

It sounds like standard Walmart procedure to me. It happened to me once with my granddaughter.  I bought her a book.  We left the store and I remembered that we forgot to get the main item we went there for so we went back in.

My granddaughter carried the book with her when we went back in and was reading it as we shopped for the forgotten item.  When we tried to leave, we were asked for the receipt.  I had no idea where I put it and dumped out all of my pockets and purse until I located it.  Phew, talk about relief.

The employee looked disappointed.  She was probably quite proud of herself when she thought she caught a shoplifter. 

Valued Contributor

The Walmart store we go to checks receipts of shoppers as they're walking out. But they appear to do it randomly. As if they want to show potential shop-lifters that if they walk out with merchandise without a receipt they may get caught. If you have boxes in your cart you'll probably be stopped. I don't have a problem with a few moments of inconvenience. We all pay higher prices as it is due to shoplifting.