Valued Contributor

there are no news stories about all the grocery store check out people that are face to face with people everyday and the risks to their health while everyone else is told to stay home and social distance themselves.

I hope everyone who is buying groceries thanks everyone of those people and stops complaining about empty store shelves.

Honored Contributor

Indeed. I always thank cashiers and baggers because I wouldn't want to stand on my feet all day long and deal with impolite customers.

Honored Contributor

I have seen stories about grocery workers on the local news.  The Seattle Times had articles on the subject today.  A favorite small grocery store owner is very sick with the virus.

Esteemed Contributor

@shoptheQ   I shopped the military commissary Saturday. The cashier welcomed me with a bright smile and was so nice. 
  I told her it was wonderful to see her smile and happy attitude. She said that people are so upset it was the least she could do!

She told me they had bare shelves the day before. Cleaned everything after closing and restocked. When I arrived at 10 a m it was getting sparse but they were still restocking. 
  Their bagers work for tips only. I tip very well! 

My husband served three years in Korea and two in Vietnam. He died 16 years ago from agent orange.

It's one of the few benefits I have, no retirement pay since he died. Now there are other comparably priced stores. 
  But, the staff is nice and I appreciate their attitude.

Honored Contributor

I thanked those at my Publix and told them they are unsung heros. I had to call Monday to find milk. I wound up speaking to four people. My husband had already been in twice and I really wanted him to STAY HOME unless it's absolutely necessary to get food. I didn't want him to make another trip for nothing. They were all busy working hard to save us. 

Trusted Contributor

I see news stories on those people all the time.  I always make sure I thank them totally, we generally do grocery pick up.  I cannot remember the last time I was inside a grocery store but I thank them so very much.  If you see a trucker thank them as well for without them we are all basically screwed.

Honored Contributor

It's a thankless job most of the time.  It's nice to see people thank them.  I worked in a grocery store for a few years as an adult.  

Checking was a back-breaking job....bending, twisting, lifting, reaching, germs, etc...and I was in good shape.  I could tell countless stories about people pulling money out of their bra or underpants, throwing canned food at checkers, yelling at baggers, cussing out customer service (where I worked most of the time), mean/unruly drunks trying to buy more booze, and using counterfeit money.  

Our grocery stores have allotted 1 hour before opening to people over 60 and those with health issues other than covid.  I really appreciate it.  This is the first time I've been in a high risk category...I didn't realize I was this old.

Valued Contributor

Curious what part of the country is featuring these stories. Here in Chicago area no news stories about risks these cashiers are induring and what if anything is being done to protect those workers.