Esteemed Contributor

WIGS REAL OR ARTIFICIAL HAIR?

From time to time I have worn a wig for various reasons.  Now is one of those times when I am contemplating buying a wig.  The stylist I was going to has moved way too far from where I live, so until I can find another one I like it is wig shopping time again.

There was one time when I wore a real hair wig and compared to the two I will admit the real one was gorgeous.  However, the artificial hair wigs today are also gorgeous so, which way to go?  I know a few of you posters wear wigs so my question to you is, real or artificial hair?  And yes, I know the real hair is a lot more expensive and I can buy two artificial compared to one real.  Anyway, your opinion will be very much appreciated.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

Re: WIGS REAL OR ARTIFICIAL HAIR?

This is one time when I would not go cheap.

Spend the money, and go for quality, and buy real.

i can spot a fake hair wig a mile away.

They look fake.

The "hair" does not move like real hair.

It looks stiff and like it's made out of plastic.

BUY REAL!

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

I have worn "decorative" hair pieces for over 50 years.   I believe a good artificial one is the way to go.   Bad weather doesn't affect them.

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I’d be concerned about the source of the real hair. In recent weeks I’ve read some rather disturbing news reports about the hair being imported from China.

Google China hair imports.
Trusted Contributor

I have only recently started wearing a wig occasionally.  I had a series of a biological infusion to treat my very rare anemia.  It didn't do a thing for my anemia but did fry my hair.  I am hoping that it will eventually return to its original texture, but I can't stand the way it is now.

I decided from the get-go to buy only synthetic wigs after seeing many very informative YouTube videos.  There is an abundance to chose from, and the better ones look very realistic and are very attractive and don't look "wiggy" at all.  And they are frequently generously discounted to make it easier on the pocketbook.

It is a matter of personal preference as well as budget, but I much prefer the ones that have what is called a "mono top".  It is hand-tied and allows me to part it wherever I want to.  Also, the synthetic hair moves much more freely and the way your real hair would move.  I have also stuck closely to my natural color and style, although many eventually get more adventurous with colors and styles they just would love to wear.

There are many very good resources, including YouTube and online groups.  A FaceBook private group "Wig Studio 1 Wig and Topper Support Group" is excellent with lots of help there from very knowledgeable members.

Enjoy your new adventure!!!

Esteemed Contributor

The only wigs that looked good in any of my chemo groups were real.

Just be aware that they are expensive and have upkeep.  

We did have one person with scull issues that had it covered by insurance.

Respected Contributor

I've had both, and I much prefer synthetic. So many beautiful choices and much easier to work with and maintain.👍I have many and they are wonderful. Have fun hair shopping !

Trusted Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:
I’d be concerned about the source of the real hair. In recent weeks I’ve read some rather disturbing news reports about the hair being imported from China.

Google China hair imports.

I agree. They should also be labeled as cruelty free, and verified by a trustworthy organization.

Respected Contributor

I just started wearing wigs because of the pandemic.  I buy only synthetic because it seems creepy to have someone else's hair.

I have 5 ''natural" wigs and about 10 frankly fake ones in all colors.  I use them more as an accessory than a hair replacement.  I love them and will never go back to the hairdresser.

Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma,  synthetic wigs have improved tremendously over time, and there is a huge range of degrees of "plausibility" among all wigs, human hair or synthetic.  "Lace fronts",  "mono tops", and "mono parts" can make wigs look extremely realistic, whether the hair is "faux" or not!

I'd suggest, as I always do, that you watch Heather at Cysterwigs youtube, and "Taz",  both of whom are full-time wig wearers who wear every type of wig in real life, and do fantastic reviews.  You'll get such a feel for today's wigs, and you'll probably spot many you like.  Good luck and keep asking questions-- many here are happy to help!