Respected Contributor

Re: WIGS REAL OR ARTIFICIAL HAIR?

[ Edited ]

It helps to be a bit adventurous.  I have 4 "real" synthetics in the QVC range.  Then I bought 1 mono Louis Ferre.  It took more cutting and styling, although the fibers felt more like real hair. Brand Name Wigs usually has 30% off.

I like to stay simple and short.  Places like Divatress, which primarily have Black clientele, have a range of short pixies between $15 and $20.  Just great for fun.

All in all, my collection cost about 6 months in hairdresser bills.  And they amuse my husband!

Valued Contributor

I tried on real and synthetic wigs and I preferred the synthetic. I would suggest getting a high quality wig which is close to your hair  color. I made the mistake of getting one that wasn't and that makes me feel like it's fake when I wear it. Also if they cut and style it for you I would get it thinned outa little. I don't have a lot of hair and all the extra hair cried "fake". Good luck in your search.

Honored Contributor

I have a good friend who has worn wigs full-time for years. She much prefers synthetic ones and there are different levels of quality even for those. She buys the best, which are not inexpensive, and sticks with as close to her natural color as she can with a few highlights. One flat color screams fake. Happy shopping!
Honored Contributor

I don't wear a wig but a friend of mine got a real hair wig made just before she underwent chemo and it looked great.  Her hair was dark brown with some grey in it and you could not tell it wasn't her hair.  I was very impressed.

Occasional Contributor

@Barbara in Virginia wrote:

I have only recently started wearing a wig occasionally.  I had a series of a biological infusion to treat my very rare anemia.  It didn't do a thing for my anemia but did fry my hair.  I am hoping that it will eventually return to its original texture, but I can't stand the way it is now.

I decided from the get-go to buy only synthetic wigs after seeing many very informative YouTube videos.  There is an abundance to chose from, and the better ones look very realistic and are very attractive and don't look "wiggy" at all.  And they are frequently generously discounted to make it easier on the pocketbook.

It is a matter of personal preference as well as budget, but I much prefer the ones that have what is called a "mono top".  It is hand-tied and allows me to part it wherever I want to.  Also, the synthetic hair moves much more freely and the way your real hair would move.  I have also stuck closely to my natural color and style, although many eventually get more adventurous with colors and styles they just would love to wear.

There are many very good resources, including YouTube and online groups.  A FaceBook private group "Wig Studio 1 Wig and Topper Support Group" is excellent with lots of help there from very knowledgeable members.

Enjoy your new adventure!!!

thanks @Barbara in Virginia!

Very hekpful!