Esteemed Contributor

WHY do you think............re: prison

Why do you think there is such a high rate of recidivism (returning to prison) among ex-prisoners?

What are your thoughts...

Honored Contributor

Re: WHY do you think............re: prison

unaddressed drug abuse/addiction and mental illness issues

Honored Contributor

it's FREE (taxpayers pay) to live in prison - 3 meals, clothes, housing, medical & education!!!!  Of course, the rate is high because when they return to "real life" it's easier to continue their old habits vs. finding a job with a record.

I saw many returnees & family members follow in their family footsteps during my tenure at Corrections!  

Sadly, it's the norm very few success stories I'm aware of.

Honored Contributor

a "free" place to live where people actually DO feel comfortable if they have been there for a long time. some just cannot adjust to the real world.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

What @HappyDaze said.

And if I am being honest, I think people can make more money illegally than legally sometimes.

Honored Contributor

I've thought about this quite a bit.  I don't understand why taking classes while in prison isn't mandatory.  Teach them how to live outside of the prison.  Teach them how to earn a living, skills for life that most of them never learned.

Also instead of watching TV make them learn some kind of skill as far as working when they get out.

Prison doesn't teach them anything.  I think it should prepare them for the outside world.  Something different from when they went in there.  That's why they just repeat it over and over and while in prison they learn new skills like how to break the law even better.

It's crazy.  Punishment is keeping them from society, I get that, but if you don't push them in a new direction, they'll be right back.  It's not brain surgery.

Besides, to some going to school is a lot of punishment.  Ha!  That's my idea.

Valued Contributor

I watch all the prison shows. 

There is not enough money spent on job training and then creating jobs for the ex-cons.  They need to have hope that there is someone that cares about them on the outside. 

They need more/better role models.

They need to have a lifeline away from the gangs and the streets. 

It is a rite of passage of being/becoming a man, to go to prison.

They are in and out so often they see prison as their home.

IMO.

Honored Contributor

Lack of rehabilitation programs 

Not enough follow-up

Living in same area

No job

No family support

Hanging out with old crowd

Addiction

Etc.

My sister's ex-husband has a brother in prison.  He was into drugs and stealing to support his habit.  The mother passed and the other siblings want nothing to do with him.  He's been in and out a couple times.  Ex-BIL thought last time he was let out he'd make it, but he didn't.  It's really sad.

Trusted Contributor

In many cases, when prisoners are released they have few supports in place to advance in society.  Most have felony convictions that don't allow them to qualify for many jobs, they have no credit, very little cash and scarce opportunity to find adequate housing.  Many come to prison with addiction problems that usually re-surface once they settle back in the neighborhoods that originally exposed them to behaviors that landed them in prison in the first place.  If they relapse onto illegal drugs (including legal meds for which they have no prescription), they usually are arrested and sent back to prison.

Just think of how difficult it is for many citizens to sustain an adequate lifestyle in our society today and multiply that over and over again to see the barriers to success for those leaving prison.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@happycat wrote:

What @HappyDaze said.

And if I am being honest, I think people can make more money illegally than legally sometimes.

@happycat you know, this is EXACTLY what my  brother said when he got out of prison and after he got off of parole. He had a job that paid him good money thanks to my ex at the time who stuck his neck out for him to get  him the job, a job he'd never be able to get with his track record. He had the family support. He had a nice apartment thanks to me  because I stuck my neck out for him and begged and convinced an old rental manager of mine to let him rent it, etc. He stayed on the straight and narrow for a few years until he got off parole but the very next day, he stated that all this legitimate work was "hard" and it was much easier to just sell drugs. And back he went....just that easily and quickly. What he didn't remember is all the times he was robbed, stabbed in the back, the stress of always looking over your shoulder and worrying about getting caught, the attempts at his life, etc. Just crazy.