Honored Contributor

Re: WHO MAKES A GROCERY LIST.....

Yes, I make a list and try to stick to it. I have a running grocery list on the fridge and if I use a product and see I need more I add it to the list. Finally I have my husband trained to write down something if he wants me to pick it up at the grocery, especially if he uses up something and I am not aware of it.

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/30/2014 chickenbutt said:
On 10/30/2014 NoelSeven said:
On 10/30/2014 Free2be said:

So . . . who writes their list in order of store layout. Hmmmm? {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

I do!

I really really WISH I did, but it doesn't seem to work out that way.

The exception to that is when I'm doing my grocery list for Thanksgiving stuff. I really have to do it then, or I'd really mess it up. I start out on a big yellow pad and just start writing the items in different areas of the page so that each grouping is from one part of the store.

Otherwise, since I don't cook so much anymore, my lists are pretty small.

I sure wish I could do that. There are three stores that I shop at regularly. Two of them I can usually find things, but some things are in such illogical places! Then the third store reorganized over a year ago, and I STILL can't find anything... and I've had brief conversations with other shoppers who are in the same boat. So I don't shop there much any more - mainly when certain things are on sale or things I can't find somewhere else. They almost completely lost a really good customer.

Honored Contributor

I stop at the grocery store 2 or 3 times a week because they have a really fabulous salad bar and it's cheaper in the long run to select just that which I'll eat in the immediate future.

As a result, my grocery list is now, actually, Grocery Guidelines ....... I write down what I need and the rest of my movement in the aisles is to check if there's some special markdown on my regular stuff.

And ..... if I forget something ..... I'll be there again in a couple days for the salad bar, so it doesn't matter. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

BTW ........ the best practice I've been doing is to check out and pull to the side before going out the door and check the prices on my receipt ..... It's so much easier to get an error corrected before you even leave the store! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Honored Contributor

Kittymom - Oh, I don't mean that my list looks like the layout of the store. I just meant that I start randomly listing items (like per recipe, for example) and I start different categories in different parts of the page so that when I'm done they are lumped per category. I could never make the store layout on a piece of paper.

As I pick up thinks I mark them off the list so I can see each category that I've gotten everything for that category and keep moving through the store.

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/30/2014 Tinkrbl44 said:

I stop at the grocery store 2 or 3 times a week because they have a really fabulous salad bar and it's cheaper in the long run to select just that which I'll eat in the immediate future.

As a result, my grocery list is now, actually, Grocery Guidelines ....... I write down what I need and the rest of my movement in the aisles is to check if there's some special markdown on my regular stuff.

And ..... if I forget something ..... I'll be there again in a couple days for the salad bar, so it doesn't matter. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

BTW ........ the best practice I've been doing is to check out and pull to the side before going out the door and check the prices on my receipt ..... It's so much easier to get an error corrected before you even leave the store! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

I do that, too! One of my stores is notorious for sale prices not ringing up correctly, or one or more of my coupons don't scan or don't double, or one of their ecoupons doesn't work, etc. etc. And if they ring up the item at the wrong price, they give you back your money AND let you keep the item. If I can't check everything before I leave, I do it as soon as I get home.

Esteemed Contributor

On 10/30/2014 chickenbutt said:

Kittymom - Oh, I don't mean that my list looks like the layout of the store. I just meant that I start randomly listing items (like per recipe, for example) and I start different categories in different parts of the page so that when I'm done they are lumped per category. I could never make the store layout on a piece of paper.

As I pick up thinks I mark them off the list so I can see each category that I've gotten everything for that category and keep moving through the store.

My list would have produce on one side, bakery/deli and frozen on the other side, and everything else lumped in between!{#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Esteemed Contributor

I knew a guy once that took the time to set up a blank listing of products based on a set path through his store. Then he could check off or write in whatever he needed in the order he would come to it. He printed them off each week.

I often thought that if I could get into his computer and mess with the list it would blow his mind away.

Super Contributor

I always do. I pretty much buy just the list, unless there is a good deal on something on sale I cannot resist!
Super Contributor

I need a list, even if it's 1-2 things, I run a chance of forgetting...and have, lol. A few years ago I started keeping my list on my phone. I just use a notes or reminders type app. They even have free apps that are just for lists...and specifically grocery lists that have built in grocery items you just touch and it adds to your list. Since moving to the running list on the phone process I have been doing really well with the routine. As I see things I need or run out of I add it to the list on the phone right then. When I get to the store I take my phone out and shop with it my hand, going down the list. As items go into the cart I check them off and they automatically remove from the list. So far so good with this phone list process.
Honored Contributor

I'm trying to train this old dog the new trick of making my list on my phone. I rarely forget the phone and frequently leave a paper list at home or even on the car seat.