Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT WOULD YOU THINK IF YOU SAW THIS IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD

If I saw him, I'd be concerned.

We're in the woods and have motion lights all around the house for safety and so we can potty Shadow puppy before bed time.

We have a bear den just feet from our woods.  We saw 2 500+ pound bears yesterday morning in our front woods.

Honored Contributor

This is becoming more common.  This was discussed in the forum recently.  Animals are losing their home.  Owners are losing their furry family.  It is a sad and challenging situation.

Respected Contributor

I have great respect for all of nature's creatures. I feel sad for them when they have to wander away from their safe hunting grounds, into developed areas.  

That said, I don't want any dangerous animals wandering through my neighborhood that can run faster than I can. 

Respected Contributor

I would feel sorry for them.  But be very careful.

Honored Contributor

DSD2

Very well said and I agree with your comments 100%  

Honored Contributor

We have tons of coyotes and bobcats.  People occasionally see a mountain lion and two bears were spotted in the last few days, which is unusual.  Both were darted by the fish and game department and toted off to distant mountains.  We're in the desert; I never figured out why they come here.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DSD2 wrote:

Climate change has wrecked havoc for humans and animals. Weather catastrophies have terrorized every species imaginable.

I can't blame creatures who are starving and burned out of their habitat roaming the area for food.

Until solutions are found, we will need to coexist.

Be wary and vigilant. And yes, keep all pets inside.  

@DSD2 

I almost stopped after reading the first 2 words in your 1st paragraph. To me that is a bunch of "who shot john", and in my view, nothing but your speculation. You stated your opinion and I stated mine. My plan is to leave it with what I said above.

With your other 4 paragraphs(?) I totally agree.

We have lots of creatures around our area, but none that we see as dangerous to our pets or ourselves. Only our dog goes outside, and that is only to take care of her business. 

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I am in rural WV, and a sighting like this would not be unusual here.  

Honored Contributor

Well, I certainly wouldn't like it.  These are animals I don't want myself or anyone in my family or neighborhood to come suddenly face to face with. Knowing this, I would have protection on me at all times.

I do feel sorry for these wild animals and wished I could see a solution but human protection comes first.

Esteemed Contributor

Well my first inclination would be to feed him, though I know that would not be wise.  Poor creatures, losing their homes due to wildfires.  Whatever other "climate change" might be happening, I am sure the animals could adapt.  But fire, well is another story.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead