Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT WOULD YOU THINK IF YOU SAW THIS IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD

@DSD2 wrote:

Climate change has wrecked havoc for humans and animals. Weather catastrophies have terrorized every species imaginable.

I can't blame creatures who are starving and burned out of their habitat roaming the area for food.

Until solutions are found, we will need to coexist.

Be wary and vigilant. And yes, keep all pets inside.  

@DSD2 It's building neighborhoods in their territory. It's drought.  It's fires. 

Honored Contributor

Here in So Cal we have a lot of coyotes ... nocturnal animals .... yet people still let their cats and dogs out unprotected.

A week doesn't go by that someone on the NextDoor neighborhood website is pleading for people to be on the lookout for their missing pets .... and many times others say we say a coyote eating a dead cat with a pink collar .... so at least the owner has closure and isn't still looking and wondering where their fur baby is.   

Even if it takes some training, ALL cats should be indoor cats .... too many predators around.

Honored Contributor

Scary and sad--had a bobcat trot thru our yard a few times---that I saw ---there is a creek running thru my property and  who knows what visited it during the night.  And a black bear also did it's thing with my birdfeeder as well as upsetting things on my back and side decks---

Esteemed Contributor

I'd be trying to get outta dodge!  I just recently posted about people seeing foxes in NYC.

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Respected Contributor

I live in the desert. He would be, and is,  a regular in my area!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Esteemed Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

I'd be trying to get outta dodge!  I just recently posted about people seeing foxes in NYC.

@gertrudecloset 

We have lived in our home since 2000. Over that time we have seen many Fox. One thing I know for sure about them, you make the slightest sound and they are gone in a split second. Fox are not dangerous to humans, unless sick or have babies close by.

Unlike some of the many other creatures we have on our acreage, fox take off the slightest sound. The only one I have ever seen in daylight, was very sick. I found its body a few days later up in our treed property.

The Humane Society came and picked it up.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

Here in So Cal we have a lot of coyotes ... nocturnal animals .... yet people still let their cats and dogs out unprotected.

A week doesn't go by that someone on the NextDoor neighborhood website is pleading for people to be on the lookout for their missing pets .... and many times others say we say a coyote eating a dead cat with a pink collar .... so at least the owner has closure and isn't still looking and wondering where their fur baby is.   

Even if it takes some training, ALL cats should be indoor cats .... too many predators around.

@Tinkrbl44  I tend to agree that all cats should be indoor cats now.  Here in Indiana we do have coyotes and foxes. We rarely see them, however.  Another big culprit to pet cats is feral cats.  People don't have their cats spayed and so many pet cats get in fights with them  and are often on the losing end.  Also diseases can be passed on from feral cats.   We rarely get to see foxes or coyotes and they pretty much stay in the woods.  Even then, after walking in our woods for many years, I only ever spotted one fox.  We can hear the coyotes at night but in the 30 yrs. we have lived along these woods we have never seen one in our yard.  I guess we still have enough woods for  all these animals but the way they are putting more and more additions in our rural areas, that may change.

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@gertrudecloset   Me, too!  Here in the midwest in Indiana we don't have cougars or bears and can walk freely through the woods with no worries.  We live with a big woods bordering our yard and for 25 yrs. I have walked the woods alone many times and was never afraid.  There is something to be said for that!  Guess I'm not the brave type cause the thought of running into a bear or cougar scares me to death!   

Honored Contributor

I would be thrilled to see them in person.

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@gertrudecloset 

We have lived in our home since 2000. Over that time we have seen many Fox. One thing I know for sure about them, you make the slightest sound and they are gone in a split second. Fox are not dangerous to humans, unless sick or have babies close by.

Unlike some of the many other creatures we have on our acreage, fox take off the slightest sound. The only one I have ever seen in daylight, was very sick. I found its body a few days later up in our treed property.

The Humane Society came and picked it up.

hckynut  🇺🇸

@hckynutjohn thanks for sharing that bit of information.  I think Kachina and others said the same thing when I posted my story of "fear."  LOL.  

Are the ones that in your area small?  I'm told red foxes are small.  The one I wrote about was just trotting along with a rat in his mouth.  No problem with that as far as I'm concerned though.  I just don't want to run into one.  

I live in the big city of New York and this fox was out around cars and people coming and going.  Uhhh NO can do @hckynutjohn !!! 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life