Frequent Contributor

WHAT MAKES YOUR HUSBAND A GOOD HUSBAND?

Mine thinks he's a good husband because he helps clean the house and keep the yard in good order and says he does more than I do.  He stays home and works part time out of the house.  I leave the house at 5:45am for work every morning and I don't come home until 4:30.  It's a long day and the last thing I want to do is clean the house.  I pay for a housecleaner once a month.  I do cook 90% of the time.  He is not the most affectionate person and at times I don't feel like I'm a priority.  What's going on at your home?

Regular Contributor

Re: WHAT MAKES YOUR HUSBAND A GOOD HUSBAND?

I think what makes a Good husband is if he is thoughtful, kind, understanding, caring, gentle and he talks to you.(I know many women who complain their DH doesn't say 10 words to them a year). Does my husband always hit the mark with these traits ? Of course not , he's human and a man, but he does try.

Honored Contributor

My dh has never been a helper or made me a priority.I think his mom spoiled him but I just don’t let that get to me.I take time to do things that make myself happy.I once read that we are all responsible for our own happiness.

I think your dh does try to help but by adding that he does more takes away from the feel good part.Might help if you told him how much you appreciate his efforts and that you cook for him because you love and care about him and his health.

Respected Contributor

@Spinach30 i think that is sounds like the two of you need to sit down and have a talk about the division of chores,wants and needs. 

make a list of how you think things should go or done by whom.  is he receptive to what your complaints are? 

you don't mention how long you've been married either. not really sure if that makes a difference. 

does dh know how you feel, or are you just building resentment?  i think a sit down is in order for sure. 

i have a list of "thick headed" items for my dh as well. 

Frequent Contributor

@dex wrote:

My dh has never been a helper or made me a priority.I think his mom spoiled him but I just don’t let that get to me.I take time to do things that make myself happy.I once read that we are all responsible for our own happiness.

I think your dh does try to help but by adding that he does more takes away from the feel good part.Might help if you told him how much you appreciate his efforts and that you cook for him because you love and care about him and his health.

Actually, I did tell him that!

Respected Contributor

We will be married 49 years in March. There have many ups and downs as with any marriage. We are now both retired but each have other interests and  still manage to coexist quite well. He has always given more than he received. My husband was a good provider and sacrificed over the years that our children could have many nice things. He is an extremely hard worker. At 73 he is still quite active playing sports, going to the gym and maintaining all of the outside work on our house and yard. After all of these years we still compliment each other too. One thing that we try to do is not to fuss about the small stuff. We really do get along quite well.

Esteemed Contributor

He puts up with me.  I'm not sure many would (though many have tried).

He's kind, and listens when I need to figure things out.  He goes to work every day.

Not bad looking.

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love that my Hubby is handy.  It saves so much money and makes home improvements more satisfying.  He also is a great cook and is more thorough at cleaning then I am so we are a great team.

Most of all he is just a nice and helpful person.  This past Sunday we were in a store and the lady in front of us in line ask to have a store employee help load her purchases in the car, Hubby offered to help so she didn't have to wait.

Respected Contributor

He puts me before anything or anyone else and he still makes my heart flutter when he walks into the room.  As I do the same to him

All of this other stuff mentioned here is not important to me and my marriage.  Celebrated 33 years last May

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Esteemed Contributor

My husband this kind, will haelp anyone and always helped around the house, unprompted.  He retired before me and would mop floors, do laundry and hang them out in good weather, and start supper without being asked. Got my coffee in the morning and would clean off my car when it snowed. He's a keeper. To top it off he's a great Dad.