Esteemed Contributor

Re: WHAT IS YOUR "IT'S A SMALL WORLD" STORY???

@homedecor1 wrote:

Just happened in November - was on vacation in St. Maarten enjoying the beach, (after the initial shock it was a nude beach🙈😳😉) my friend & I ventured up to the bar for lunch.

Our waitress was my neighbors daughter (who was 10 when I moved) she recognized me! Small world she was enjoying some downtime bumming it before she started her masters program!

@homedecor1  I just have to ask:  Do you cover up to go to the bar for lunch?  Sitting on the bar stool, I would be a bit squeamish!!!???!!!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I am loving all these stories of "it's a small world".  Thank you for sharing your experiences. 

Honored Contributor

I reported two of my own "small world" stories, so now l'll tell you my husband's:

A couple of years before he and l met, DH went to a "singles" dance, and a particular girl caught his eye. They began conversing, and learned that they had a lot in common. First they asked each other "How old are you?" Same age... "When is your birthday?" Same day, same year!... "What city were you born in?" Same city... "In which hospital?" Same hospital!! Their mothers could have even been sharing the same hospital room after giving birth, for all we know!

So this chance meeting seemed to be "fate." They dated for over a year, and were considering becoming engaged. He introduced her to his family, and they just didn't like her. The relationship ended shortly thereafter.

Then, about 6 months later, he and l met via a blind date, and that DID work out! Lucky for me that his parents didn't like the previous GF, lol. Woman Very Happy

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

My sister and I along with both of our families went to Australia to visit our other sister. We were in the airport rest room in Sydney and she bumped into someone she worked with. They were both very surprised.

Hey @proudlyfromNJ! Where did your sister live in Australia? How did you like it there?

@Irshgrl31201@She married an Australian 30 years ago. They live on an island in the Pittwater Bay a little bit north of Sydney.

She comes home every year, but that one trip for me was enough. Australia was wonderful, but can't handle the long plane ride.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tends2dogs

OMG NO I WASN'T NUDE -- THAT WOULD CLEAR THE BEACH IN A NY MINUTE!!! LOL!!! (I used caps because I'm not screaming just rolling in laughter....) -- Yes, most covered up to sit at the bar/restaurant area but there were a few who didn't.

BUT, I have to say I went to use the ladies room (now keep in mind 80% of the people on this beach were nude or partially nude -- all shapes and sizes!Smiley Surprised)

I am standing outside waiting my turn and this large woman with a  handful of clothes covering her up -- says to me: "Would you mind holding the door closed for me while I get dressed?" My gf and I just rolled our eyes for fear of laughing in her face .... my goodness lady we've seen your full bday suit and you want privacy in the bathroom?#!....that was definitely oneof the funniest moments of the day....

Id post a few pics ... but, I'm sure its against the rules!!!  It was definitely a crazy moment as we were not told it was a "nude option" beach...

Esteemed Contributor

I hope this makes sense.

I dated a guy for 5 years.  At my brother's wedding I see ex-boyfriend brother is there.  He is step-father to my new SIL's sister in law.  (my SIL's brother is married to the step-daugther of my ex-boyfriend's brother)  So I guess I'm related to my exboyfriend by 3 marriages.  LOL

Honored Contributor

Years ago I was getting off the boat that went from Nassau to the Club Med on Paradise Island, and some one asked me if my college ring was from Hunter College. I was shocked and of course it was.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My DH's uncle brought his new girlfriend to a family party.  While meeting/talking to her, I asked her where she lived. She said a village and I said - I know it well, I used to live there.  Where do you live in the village? She talked in general terms, little by little narrowing down the area and street. She lived in the house I grew up in until age 5.  

Respected Contributor

This story is a little different twist, but I think kind of interesting.  Some years ago I was in a NYC airport waiting to board when I spotted a woman that had been in my bridge club a few years before.  

I walked over over to her and said "hi Joan, how have you been, haven't seen you in such a long time."  She stood up, we hugged, and I said "are you still living in Pgh?"

She said "I have never lived in Pgh."   I said "are you Joan B..........?"  It turned out her name was Joan, she looked like a twin to the Joan I knew, but a totally different person.  

Life's embarrassing moments.  First for her because she did not remember me and then for me because I had the completely wrong Joan.

Esteemed Contributor

@gmkb wrote:

This story is a little different twist, but I think kind of interesting.  Some years ago I was in a NYC airport waiting to board when I spotted a woman that had been in my bridge club a few years before.  

I walked over over to her and said "hi Joan, how have you been, haven't seen you in such a long time."  She stood up, we hugged, and I said "are you still living in Pgh?"

She said "I have never lived in Pgh."   I said "are you Joan B..........?"  It turned out her name was Joan, she looked like a twin to the Joan I knew, but a totally different person.  

Life's embarrassing moments.  First for her because she did not remember me and then for me because I had the completely wrong Joan.

@gmkb  Too funny!!  This could be a whole new thread LOL!