Honored Contributor

Re: WHAT IS YOUR "IT'S A SMALL WORLD" STORY???

[ Edited ]

Just happened in November - was on vacation in St. Maarten enjoying the beach, (after the initial shock it was a nude beach🙈😳😉) my friend & I ventured up to the bar for lunch.

Our waitress was my neighbors daughter (who was 10 when I moved) she recognized me! Small world she was enjoying some downtime bumming it before she started her masters program!

Trusted Contributor

I love all these!  Have to say SilleeMee's was the most eeire!  Fascinating

Respected Contributor

After being out of high school about 25 years, we were traveling by car from the North to Fl.. for a visit.  We stopped in a McDonalds in Georgia.  While waiting in line to order, the woman behind me said "are you ----------------?" (my maiden name) .

"Yes I am."  I did not recognize her.

She told me I had not changed a bit and would know me anywhere.  When she told me her name, I could not believe it.  She had gone from a freckle face, chubby girl to a gorgeous woman.  There we were meeting again in a rural town 1000 miles from home.

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

My sister and I along with both of our families went to Australia to visit our other sister. We were in the airport rest room in Sydney and she bumped into someone she worked with. They were both very surprised.

Hey @proudlyfromNJ! Where did your sister live in Australia? How did you like it there?

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I called my health insurance customer service # to ask a question and it turned out the rep was my friend from high school's daughter. Her Mom had died while the daughter was still a child and I wasn't really friends with the dad so I lost touch but she recognized my name & asked if it was me.

Regular Contributor

I was born in one of the NYC boroughs and lived there until I was 18 - more than 40 years go. I found a Facebook group that was dedicated to my old neighborhood and people all share their memories of it from back in those days.

During a discussion about old time corner candy stores, one man mentioned the one that was on the corner of my street and that he didn't remember the name. I supplied the information and he replied that he was an old man in his 80's, lived on that street as a child and moved away from there when he was a young teenager.

I mentioned the address of the house I lived in and he replied that it was the very same house his father had owned! Turns out that his father sold that house to my grandfather in the 1940's and that's where both my father and I grew up.

Esteemed Contributor

When I was single and in my 20s (long time ago) and living in a small town in Germany I heard that there was a new lieutenant with my very unusual German/Dutch last name.  Was he my brother I was asked (no)? Then I learned his wife shared my first name (I was single). She went to open an account as American Express (my bank) and had to show plenty of proof of who she was (thought she was impersonating me).  Later, when she became pregnant, the tables were turned, as single me wasn't and the rumor mill had a field day.

Respected Contributor

I have another small world story:  My husband and I had bought a home in Charleston, SC.  I grew up in a smallish town in Illinois and suscribed to my hometown paper.  They sent it with a sticky label on it and when I received it shortly after moving, there was another newspaper stuck to mine.  The paper was for a woman living on the street behind ours!  I'm thinking, who in the world from my little Illinois town would live behind me and take the same paper?  I walked over and delivered the newspaper to her and asked who she was.  She was an older woman, but our family knew her younger brother well and he still lived in my hometown.  Talk about a small world!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I was working, I worked for IT for the State of Texas and spoke to people all over the State. One day I received a call from a gentleman from Crystal City and I said, oh wow, my grandparents are from there. He asked for their names and I said their last name is and he said, my son is dating a girl and her mother has the same last name (not a common last name) and I said, what's her name, turns out she was my first cousin, our Dads are brothers, small world. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

All of my life I've had people think they know me.  It has always driven me crazy because they won't accept that I don't know them.  They won't give it up.  It happens all of the time.  Sounds like I'm exaggerating, but believe me, I'm not.

Just Yesterday I was at the Drs office and the girl behind the desk said I look like a woman (Hispanic) who is or was on Telemundo (sp).  She was Hispanic.  The African American standing next to me says, "I know who you're talking about and yes she does".   Then the African American woman gets on her cell phone and looks up the woman's name and picture.  The picture was small so I couldn't see it.  I have blonde hair (dirty blonde) and skin so white it almost looks like a ghost...Ha!  The woman behind the desk said, "You look so much like her I thought for sure you were her.  I almost asked you for your autograph".  She acted like I was lying...isn't that funny?

Here's something interesting.  I once had someone tell me that I am an "old soul".  She said that I have traveled back and forth many times and that's why so many people THINK they know me.  She says it's our souls that are meeting again.

I found that fascinating.  It is crazy how often this happens.  I've had it happen in Europe and other states.  My family thinks it's funny but it gets frustrating when they won't let it go.

I won't go into the individual stories pertaining to this.  I have to wonder if I just have a generic face and that's why they think I look like so many different people.

@Annabellethecat66 I doubt if you have a generic face.  The same thing happens to my husband all the time and I think he is very handsome!  A person with your happy attitude could never have an generic face!!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!