Honored Contributor

Re: WARNING! "All new materials. Polystyrene"

I'm thinking this product is not dangerous unless inhaled or injested.  I have Tony Little pillows filled with styrofoam beads, and it comes with a warning to be sure and use the provided zip pillowcase cover at all times.  This is so you would not inhale the beads if the pillow was somehow punctured (not sure how thst would happen).

@on the bay.   Before you march into stores and make demands, I think you need to do more homework to ascertain under what conditions the product is actually dangerous.  Many common products can be harmful if misused but are otherwise acceptable.  Keep things away from small children who might misuse them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624-

The Michaels store manager already thanked me for caring and concern.

Im not going to march in and demand though my posts may have shown my anger.

Its not their fault these products are in the stores I know. I'm sure so many aren't aware of the dangers at all.

(I save any "marching and demanding" for when someone is purposely hurting someone or an animal, or the last time I was in a marching band years and years ago)

And I was hoping that too like you said that all these things won't be harmful unless used wrong.

But if it is put in a toy whether there are warnings or not, a toy that many parents will buy, thinking it safe, that should not be.

I did read a lot from many sources and they all just keep saying it has definitely been linked to cancer. If inhaled it could be lethal  as well. 

I've tried to find out if its ok if just used in decoration or so many things, pillows too but haven't found clear info.

If anyone does, you can post it and let us know. 

Still, once you know it can kill you if injested, it doesn't make me confidant that its totally harmless no matter how you use it.

Probably its in a lot of things we use and have been using. So I'd like to know more too.

I know there are so many ingredients out there that are harmful, not just polystyrene.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Ok, to conclude all this, the best info I found came from businessbarbados.com.

And @qbetzforreal and all I did see that the FDA does regulate what comes in contact at least with our food, but for toys and other products, the consumer product safety commission would seem to have the most influence.

I guess with animals and small children and all of us, we have been using these products for years and studies have shown these toxic substances are in human tissue.

Maybe another reason there are so many cancers with so many.

I think I am more aware of these now with small grandchildren, pregnant children and relatives and also thinking of one of my granddogs who ate everything in sight.

I hope at the least we can all be more aware and cautious to what we bring into our house

(or not if this doesn't bother you at all).

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

A while back Californians voted to approve Prop 65 which requires retailers to post notices on items with ingredients or substances known to cause cancer. 

A lot of people were against it, and you'd be surprised how often it appears in grocery stores ... usually for the packaging or ink on the labels.   Personally, I'm not threatened by the paper labels on cans, but some people might be.

I think it's good they make people aware, and you can do as you wish.