Respected Contributor

Re: WARNING--AMAZON POSSIBLE SCAM

@garmer wrote:

... Since the emails are about orders that don't exist, that would tell me that the accounts of the email recipients haven't been breached. Does that make sense? I know what I mean, don't know if I said it right.

I understand you and you are right.  I recently got a fake Apple receipt - my first one - and it did scare me.  Apple Live Chat checked my account and nothing had been ordered. 

The scammers need someone to click on a link to complete the scam. 

Honored Contributor

When I get this type of e-mail...I go directly to the site and check myself or make a call. Never click on those links.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

You all need to report these to Amazon so they can track and stop them.

To report a phishing or spoofed e-mail or webpage:

1. Do one of the following:
      • Open a new e-mail and attach the e-mail you suspect is fake. For suspicious webpages, simply copy & paste the link into the email body.

Note: Sending this suspicious e-mail as an attachment is the best way for us to track it.

• If you can't send the e-mail as an attachment, you can forward it.
  2. Send the e-mail to stop-spoofing@amazon.com.

Note: Amazon can't respond personally when you report a suspicious correspondence to stop-spoofing@amazon.com, but you may receive an automatic confirmation. If you have security concerns about your account, please contact us using the Contact Usbutton.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

The Amazon scam emails have been around for a couple of years.  Sometimes the emails offers a $50 Amazon gift card, sometimes they say there's a problem with your order.  They just want people to click on the email, opening it gives them access to your computer.  You did right, just delete them.  

Honored Contributor

@Montana wrote:

I got two Amazon scam emails this week.  They referenced order numbers I knew were fake. I trashed them.

I hope that means you deleted them but did not open and read there.

Honored Contributor

Take a look at the disconnect addon 

Esteemed Contributor

When in doubt log into your account with your own link.  Don't use the link they have provided.  Or simply call them directly.  

Never know what the bad guys will try next so be careful.  

My latest bid of fun was a scam attempt to arrest me for not showing up at court as a potential juror.  Dummies.. in our state if you are over a certain age they just don't call you.  I pointed that out.  They said they were sending the Sheriff to get me and I told them GO AHEAD.  Then when I hung up I CALLED THE SHEFIFF and they send over a deputy to take down my information.  

Honored Contributor

This type of phishing occurs daily. It's nothing new. Never click an email link and when in doubt delete, then check your online account directly via a web browser.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

I have been getting these for months. I also get them from Saks, Bloomingdales and Macys.  They say I need to change my password.  The amazon emails are always about cancelations.  I have never opened one.  If I have any questions, I call the numbers on back of my card.  I do not have an account at Saks, bloomingdales or macys.  But I did years ago.