Contributor

Has anyone ever received a personalized voicemail message from a wrong number? It happened to my mother a few years ago. A woman greeted her by name and then went on to say some encouraging words. My mom did not know this woman. Tonight I received a message from a man who said my name, asked how I am doing, and then said we would talk soon. These people obviously misdialed, but what I don't understand is why they leave a message and even say the other peorson's name.

Honored Contributor

Re: Voicemail from wrong number

Do these callers leave their name?

Your name & phone number are public records online & off unless you specifically requested to be private and/or unlisted.

If you have a phone book (yes they are still around) check to see if your name & number is listed. 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I've heard of this before. It's not a misdial. It's part of a scam. I don't remember the details.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh dear, I've had a continuing problem with this...for years.

There is a Russian psychiatrist, with a very heavy accent, in this area and for YEARS I've asked her to change her number or at least give out business cards so I won't get her voicemail messages.

Some of them are alarming and some of them would break your heart. I especially remember one mother who was at her wits end because her daughter was cutting herself, again. I happened to pick up the call, so I talked to the dear lady for a while, and suggested she find herself a different doctor.

I know, from what some of her patients have told me, and from my own interactions with her when I've relaid messages to her, that she's a cold, uncaring person.

I think the only way for me to stop getting her calls is for her to move away or die.

Esteemed Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten  Or you could change your number...since you are the one who is bothered by it. 

I think it’s wrong of you to counsel her patients when they reach you by mistake  

Keepin' it real.
Trusted Contributor

I have not received a "personalized" voicemail, but have received some "familiar" sounding. I just deleted it and then blocked the phone numbers. It's been awhile since I've had any more.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

@esmerelda wrote:

@GoneButNotForgotten  Or you could change your number...since you are the one who is bothered by it. 

I think it’s wrong of you to counsel her patients when they reach you by mistake  

@esmerelda 

Not only wrong and dangerous, but legally it's practicing medicine without a license and a felony in most states.

She's lucky if the patient she 'counseled' doesn't mention this to the Dr. and the patient and Dr. file charges.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

I had two wrong-number voicemails where I did return a call. One time, I got a voicemail from a Walgreen's, letting the person know their prescription was ready for pickup. The second incident was a voicemail from someone confirming a date to play tennis. I called that person back. He was so grateful, he invited me to join his group! Of course, I said no. But, what a nice gesture! 

Valued Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@esmerelda wrote:

@esmerelda 

Not only wrong and dangerous, but legally it's practicing medicine without a license and a felony in most states.

She's lucky if the patient she 'counseled' doesn't mention this to the Dr. and the patient and Dr. file charges.

@KingstonsMom...and that is why I cringe when I read some of the posts in the Wellness forum, but I didn't know it could be a crime. Thank you for your post.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I get voice mails from a lawyer named Lenny.  He thinks I am a one night stand who left him a wrong number.  "Hi, Brandy this is Lenny.  Gimme a call."  "Hi Brandy, this is Lenny.  I want to tell you about this case I had in court, you'll love it."  "Brandy, this is Lenny.  I've called several times. Let's get together."

It stops then out of the blue he calls again.  I've texted him and called him back out of courtesy to say YOU HAVE THE WRONG NUMBER.  I even blocked his number but somehow he got through.

Every Sunday I get a call from a woman who is calling in for the prayer line.  Again, I left her a courtesy voice mail that it's the wrong number.  And every Sunday she calls again.