Honored Contributor

@151949

Unlike myself that use my cell phone for it's original purpose, talking, younger people use them like I wore my glasses. They were always on my face. Younger people have "auto program" etched in their brains when it comes to "selfie-stills/selfie videos.

When they see any activity involving an accident/someone getting mugged etc, is their 1st reaction to help or call 911? Nope, gotta get this video and post it "this instant".

My cell phone is not even turned on unless I am ready to make a phone call. In fact, it is probably in 1 of my pockets. That is the world in which we now live. Pictures or videos of important things, can be used for good(catching perps stabbing people in a mall", unfortunately more seems to be used for the, not so good.

I could type forever about the bad, I however think most know what I mean about that side of the equation.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Slow day?

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@151949

"store clerk. There it is - every second from when the individual walks up to the counter on video. Why on earth would someone video a store checkout unless they were planning to start some trouble?

Just today I saw an encounter with a bus driver on FB - the whole encounter. So why would someone be making a video of getting on the bus unless they were planning to cause an incident?"

I don't know where you live but, in my neck of the woods, EVERY STORE/BUSINES have survalliance cams.

98% of the homes have survalliance cams inside & outside.

Every public transportation vehicle has survalliance cams including cabs.

I live next to a city that has survalliance cams on every corner.  The cams sit up high on a pole & protected by bullet proof glass.  Some of the cams are manned if the box is large enough.

I live in a 55+ community.  Once we walk out of our front door we are on the complex security cam for a 2 mile radius.  I live in the boonies.

I recently found out, our security cams have night vision. 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

It's not what you say, it's who says it!

Honored Contributor

Re: Videos online

[ Edited ]

As is the case for police, they have body cams and dash cams. 

As is the case for "everything else", when people see something about to happen, many of them pull out their cell phones immediately and start filming.  It happens where people are filming someone getting beat up instead of helping.  People have videotaped others getting robbed so there is evidence.  Some people have cameras on their homes that will record some of this and many places have surveillance cameras.  

A friend of mine lost her son a few years ago in an accident on her street.  The ambulance came and someone standing by recorded everything that went on in the ambulance, including my friend nearly hysterical over what had happened.  They then gave it to the local news who played it on air.   I have no idea if they were paid for this recording because it was "exclusive" but it was sickening.       

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it's argumentative.

Honored Contributor

I don't know, as I don't live in a large city so I really don't see it.

But I'm thinking that a lot of people, especially those who always have their phones in their hands, probably just crank up the video if they think they see something happening.   I wouldn't think just seeing somebody talking to a police officer would have a bunch of people videoing it.  But, OTOH, if there started to be an incident then 'on' goes the video cams.  

Honored Contributor

If it isn't surveillance video or body cameras, it's people and their cell phones.

Like John pointed out, people will film an 'incident' before calling 911. 

People today shouldn't expect to get away with anything or have any reasonable expectation of privacy, because someone is constantly ready with their phone to record just about anything that happens.

Respected Contributor

People video because of distrust. They want their own evidence in the chance that something gets altered, lost or edited.