Contributor

I write this with tears in my eyes. P-22 was unfortunately euthanzied this morning. I know it had to be done. He had too many injuries. Woman Sad He was a beautiful animal who defied hardships. He will be missed.

Honored Contributor

I heard. What a gorgeous cat. I am so glad and comforted that he was tacked and they could find him. He must have suffered a bit this is one of those times when euthanasia is a real blessing

Honored Contributor

I have no idea what this us about.  Something local?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

P22 is a famous big cat that lived in the Hollywood Hills and National Geographic had a cover photo of it with Hollywood sign.  He's been very famous for maybe 10 years and 60 Minutes did a piece on him(?). Recently he killed A small dog and injured its owner, who was walking it.  The big cat had a tracker so it was located, drugged and brought in.  As of this morning the authorities were trying to decide his fate ( he was old and injured).

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624  I think I read that a mountain lion who'd been living in a LA park for ages had to be put to sleep due to an accident(s).

Honored Contributor

I found this online.  It's an old picture but he appears to be skinny and in poor condition.  I've never heard anything about this cat but I'm not up on LA news.

Screenshot_20221217-185142_kindlephoto-66229071.png

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

They are building a "cougar bridge" over the highway so the big cats can get over to Hollywood easier from the more wooded area where they have lived for decades. Sounds like this animal was not managed properly and he was euthanized after doing what a wild animal does when allowed and encouraged to wander about a densely populated area. 

Contributor

@jst4jan wrote:

I write this with tears in my eyes. P-22 was unfortunately euthanzied this morning. I know it had to be done. He had too many injuries. Woman Sad He was a beautiful animal who defied hardships. He will be missed.

He was sent to the San Diego Safari park for better evaluation. Turns out he had head trauma, an injured eye, stage 2 kidney failure,a hernia causing abdominal organs to fill his chest cavity, an extensive case of demodex gatoi (a parasitic skin infection likely transmitted from domestic cats), heart disease, and more. He weighed 90 pounds when he should have weighed 125.

Valued Contributor
I was saddened to read this too. I knew it was going to happen since he was in poor health at least he is out of pain and no longer suffering.
Respected Contributor

I wish they could have stabilized him enough so he could live out his days in a sanctuary.  I don't think money would be a problem because he is much beloved and the money would be forthcoming.  So sad, such a beautiful animal.