Respected Contributor

Re: Verizon Employee Suspended For Rescuing Cat

@Cakers3 wrote:

Personally I find letting your pets roam freely around the neighborhood irresponsible on the part of the owner.  I don't know if this cat got out on her own or if the owner let the cat roam around.

This one sentence in your post was the one that immediately caught my attention.  I have harped on this exact thing for years.   I would never think of letting a pet that I love just roam around the neighborhood.   

I worked for years in an emergency veterinary hospital and saw far too many animals come in DOA or severely injured because the owner allowed them to roam.   Many were hit by cars or attacked by other animals.   

I don't know the particulars about this story but something tells me that this cat was not an indoor only pet.    I hope after all of this fiasco the owner will do the right thing and keep this cat inside for the rest of its life. 

Respected Contributor

I’m glad the cat is now safe. 

I agree that, for Verizon, it’s about liability. 

Esteemed Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

If one is worried about the employee, 

there was a GoFundMe for him..

raising over $10,000 in 2 separate accounts.

I think 3 weeks was a bit harsh so I'm happy to see a Go Fund was started.  By the time it ends he will have more money than his pay for three weeks.  Yes, he disobeyed company rules, no one was hurt and yes, the company had a right to punish him...but in the long run, he won.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

Until I hear otherwise, that the owner allowed the cat to get outdoors, I’ll withhold judgement. Everyone in my family has had indoor only cats, but every once in a while, one of these cats has made it outside! And these are the cats who are most likely to get into a climbing situation that they can’t get out of on their own. They have no outdoor sense and just get frozen in place. I’m relieved that someone came to the rescue of this cat, who I’m sure was in a lot of distress.
Honored Contributor

@J Town Girl wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

Personally I find letting your pets roam freely around the neighborhood irresponsible on the part of the owner.  I don't know if this cat got out on her own or if the owner let the cat roam around.

This one sentence in your post was the one that immediately caught my attention.  I have harped on this exact thing for years.   I would never think of letting a pet that I love just roam around the neighborhood.   

I worked for years in an emergency veterinary hospital and saw far too many animals come in DOA or severely injured because the owner allowed them to roam.   Many were hit by cars or attacked by other animals.   

I don't know the particulars about this story but something tells me that this cat was not an indoor only pet.    I hope after all of this fiasco the owner will do the right thing and keep this cat inside for the rest of its life. 

@J Town Girl   How sad to see so many pets hurt.

Indoor cats would have to be "fixed";  there is no way a cat who has not been spayed or neutered would be an indoor only cat.

I agree that this cat was most likely let outside by the owner, and hopefully she was not a momma cat as her name implied.

DIsease, injury, and death-not something any animal activist would risk with a pet.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Esteemed Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

Cats can climb up but not down because their front wrists don't rotate as yours do, or as a squirrels do. If they can't walk down they have to jump, or wait for rescue.

So I guess cats aren't so smart after all, LOL.

Dogs rule !!!!

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

If one is worried about the employee, 

there was a GoFundMe for him..

raising over $10,000 in 2 separate accounts.

I think 3 weeks was a bit harsh so I'm happy to see a Go Fund was started.  By the time it ends he will have more money than his pay for three weeks.  Yes, he disobeyed company rules, no one was hurt and yes, the company had a right to punish him...but in the long run, he won.

No. 

The cat won.

Gee....didn’t realize all this was a contest...

Respected Contributor

Verizon is totally right!  If he had been hurt or hurt someone else, the company is liable.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think it was his own decision, Verizon did not order him to rescue the kitty, I am a Verizon customer and a cat lover. He obviously knew what he was doing or he wouldn’t have been able to do it. I wish whichever organization was given a Verizon contribution would give it back...Verizon has already shown how little they think of animals. I am sure they think the same of this employee. 

Honored Contributor

I cannot fathom dropping Verizon over this incident.  We don't use them but even if we did I wouldn't drop them over this.

Talk about over-reacting.

Cat is safe, Verizon enforced their rules, like it or not. 

This too shall pass. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh