Honored Contributor

Verizon Employee Suspended For Rescuing Cat

Verizon is facing the wrath of cat lovers for its decision to suspend a worker without pay for using the company's equipment to rescue a feline stuck atop a utility pole in Philadelphia.

The employee, Maurice German, violated Verizon's safety rules when he used a Verizon "bucket" truck's hydraulic lift to save the cat, "Princess Momma," earlier this month, the telecommunications company said.

The cat's owner had called the fire department, animal rescue and the telephone company before German, who was working nearby, responded to pleas that he help the kitty, who had been stuck for 12 hours, one resident told CBS Philadelphia

11367526-6842663-image-a-116-1553367288948.jpg Cat stuck at top of telephone poll for about 12 hours.

Although German was heralded on social media for his goodwill gesture, Verizon said it suspended him for three weeks without pay because he violated the company's safety rules.

"For safety reasons, our trucks and related equipment are not intended to be used in the area in which he was operating, specifically around electrical wires," a Verizon spokesperson told CBS MoneyWatch. "While our actions may not be popular, he potentially put his life and those around him in jeopardy."

Verizon said it had made a donation to Pennsylvania Animal Rescue & Protection, or SPCA, to show its support for animal rescue groups.

The gesture did little to appease customers and animal lovers on social media, with the company called "heartless" and worse in a multitude of tweets online.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/verizon-suspends-worker-who-rescued-cat-telephone-pole/

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Re: Verizon Employee Suspended For Rescuing Cat

They did the right thing.  What the heck was he thinking?  He should be glad they didn't fire him.  He misused company equipment and put the company at great risk if he's injured his self or someone else.  It was a liability issue.  

Esteemed Contributor

I think Verizon did the right thing as well.  However, three weeks without pay is a bit harsh.  One week would have been better in my opinion.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I totally agree with Verizon.

He could’ve killed himself...and others.

The cat was not in immediate danger.

The proper people were called to remove the cat.

Stuns me people are blasting Verizon (Twitter).

SMH.

Trusted Contributor

No good deed goes unpunished.

Trusted Contributor

Way to go Verizon!  You could have had good free publicity but no, you had to go and do the "right" thing. Remind me to never use Verizon!

Respected Contributor

Obviously, he did not think of all the things that could go wrong. He responded with his heart.

Esteemed Contributor

A friend of mine trims trees around electrical lines for the power company. Some of those lines are old and damaged, some are live wires. It was very foolish of him to do this without any training or knowing which are service lines vs terminals.

He's lucky he only lost pay.

Trusted Contributor

@ Montana wrote:

Obviously, he did not think of all the things that could go wrong. He responded with his heart.

@ Montana I’m glad he did it and didn’t lose his job. He weighed the risks and thought he could safely rescue the cat. Good for him!

Honored Contributor

I wonder if it were your own cat would you have told him not to because it wasn’t safe?