Esteemed Contributor

Re: Verizon Employee Suspended For Rescuing Cat

[ Edited ]

@GenXmuse wrote:

I wonder if it were your own cat would you have told him not to because it wasn’t safe? 

That is why companies have very specific safety policies, so the employees can fall back on "company policy".

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

No.  Live electricity is no joke.  

I'm sorry.  The cat gets up there, it gets down with it's own claws.  Or by an authorized party.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@GenXmuse wrote:

I wonder if it were your own cat would you have told him not to because it wasn’t safe? 

Of course, I would.

Anyone who has knowledge with animals can see the cat is safe,

where it is. If the owner truthfully called emergency, 

Animal Control/Emergency would've been there shortly. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Ketra wrote:

@ Montana wrote:

Obviously, he did not think of all the things that could go wrong. He responded with his heart.

@ Montana I’m glad he did it and didn’t lose his job. He weighed the risks and thought he could safely rescue the cat. Good for him!

WHAT?

You obviously never had to deal with OSHA.

I guarantee Verizon is currently preparing mandatory updated safety inservices for all field staff, and these inservice will be conducted and documented ASAP.

and

Those poles and power lines are property of the power company. If anything had gone wrong they'd have gone after Verizon too.

Trusted Contributor

@GenXmuse wrote:

@GenXmuse I wouldn’t want any scared creature up there for 12 hours. I would have done exactly what he did. Policies are policies and humans are humans. We have to make important decisions and sometimes they have repercussions. 

Esteemed Contributor

Like electrocution.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

My question is: Why didn't Animal Rescue respond? 

Trusted Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@Ketra wrote:

@ Montana wrote:

Obviously, he did not think of all the things that could go wrong. He responded with his heart.

@ Montana I’m glad he did it and didn’t lose his job. He weighed the risks and thought he could safely rescue the cat. Good for him!

WHAT?

You obviously never had to deal with OSHA.

I guarantee Verizon is currently preparing mandatory updated safety inservices for all field staff, and these inservice will be conducted and documented ASAP.

and

Those poles and power lines are property of the power company. If anything had gone wrong they'd have gone after Verizon too.

@x Hedge I’ve dealt with OSHA my whole career. We are still humans and have a right to make our own decisions and deal with the repercussions. I would have done exactly what he did and suffered the consequences. 

Esteemed Contributor

Cats can climb up but not down because their front wrists don't rotate as yours do, or as a squirrels do. If they can't walk down they have to jump, or wait for rescue.

Honored Contributor

I saw a cat atop a telephone pole in my back yard. I don't know much about cat behavior but I assumed that the cat could climb down just as it could climb upwards. That cat was up there for many hours and I was getting nervous. Finally I saw it climb down all by itself...TG.