Esteemed Contributor

Re: Verbal pet peeves

[ Edited ]

I had forgotten - "bloussant it up"  (SG) - it grates on my nerves every time I hear it...

There is no verb "bloussant", there is not even a word "bloussant" !

There is "blouson - A garment, such as a dress or shirt, with a fitted waistband over which material blouses.

ETA:  "This is that piece that...." Try counting how often that phrase is used in an hour...  Pulling Hair animated emoticon

Honored Contributor

"your and I's"

"you guys"

"like" where it doesn't belong

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

Mine is the use of the adjectives male/female.  People use these as nouns.

"The 18 year old male was caught..."

"The females in my family do this..."

I must be missing something here. In my dictionary, male and female are either an adjective or a noun.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A few of you mentioned "you guys."  I used to say it but phased it out as I've gotten older, but do not mind hearing it.  I think of "guys" as gender-neutral, not just for men.  Maybe it will bother me in years ahead, but right now it doesn't.

Communicating in emojis - cute!  

We are all on the internet by the very fact that we are on this forum.  So why do so many misspell what they are writing about?   I saw a couple of posts for today's TSV spelled with two "Ns".  I mean, it was on screen and on the home page with one "N."  Why not look things up before posting?

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

Sorry, I just had to add this one - it gets on my last nerve:

"It has a little more guts to it..." (SG referring to Premier Knit)

Could we maybe use the word "heft", maybe "bulk", or "weight"?  Guts just isn't something I want to envision when looking at a piece of clothing! 

Respected Contributor

One of my biggest peeves is when people pronounce things in a way that they think sounds "elegant," but it sounds pretentious.  It's usually incorrect, as well.  For example, when I lived in AZ there was a grocery store called Basha's.  Short "a" like "hat" in the beginning.  I grew up there hearing it that way everywhere.  Then, when I was an adult,  a friend newly arrived to AZ always pronounced it like baaa (like a sheep).  She heard it the correct way but never pronounced it that way.  

It's like saying NevAHda.  Or, people who use foreign words that have become mainstream here, but insist on always using the foreign pronunciation...like the word "crepes."   

I'm a speaker of several languages, but this bugs me. Smiley Happy

However, I keep it all inside. Lol!  Smiley Happy

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Respected Contributor

@SparklyTiara wrote:

Another one, though I hear it more in movies and on television than in real life, is when people talk about speaking "American" instead of English. 

Bad spelling gets me just as much as bad grammar. Reading something loaded with improperly spelled words is not only difficult, but annoying (to me, at least)! As some have touched on here, the advent of texting did not help things in that department!

Maybe we should just blame it all on AutoCorrect Smiley Very Happy. Pretty soon, we won't have to worry about bad grammar and bad spelling; we'll all communicate exclusively through emoji!

***If you went to the UK, you would learn that we in the US speak American English, and by British standards, British English is the gold standard.  A colleague of mine from Scotland once told me that I don't speak English, I speak American.  Smiley Happy   This, while I was on a Fulbright scholarship teaching English in Vienna, Austria!   It didn't bother me though, as her German was crummy and I spoke it on a near native level.  Smiley Happy

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Esteemed Contributor

Verbal pet peeves  ? Racial and class slurs. Oh, and the term hater that was coined by those who hate an opinion that they don't hold.

Trusted Contributor

Pronoun errors:

Her and her sister went to the store, etc. rather than

She and her sister....

(no one would say, Her went to the store...but when someone else is added,

the pronoun errors occur.)

I also miss hearing "...You're welcome." 

Everyone now says, " No problem"

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ashphalt instead of asphalt.

"For" in place of "so."  My friend's daughter says this all the time: "I need to find my keys for I can go to the store," or "Let me know when you're on your way for I can be ready."

I once had a coworker ask me how to pronounciate a word.