Honored Contributor

Re: Vendors adding Covid charges

it is like shipping. We pay it whether we see it on the bill or not. Obviously it costs dentists more. Others?  Many NO,

Esteemed Contributor

A neighbor put up on our Nextdoor app a copy of her restaurant receipt showing a COVID surcharge.  For years, UPS has tacked on a gas surcharge if the delivery was rural.  

Businesses are doing what they must to survive.  However all surcharges should be clearly given ahead of any services rendered. 

My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Esteemed Contributor

Restaurants in NYC may levy a Covid surcharge.  I have no problem with that so long as it's visibly disclosed .

Otherwise, they would just raise prices to cover additional costs.  Ultimately,  it's all the same for a consumer.   Choose to pay it or opt out and go elsewhere. 

Trusted Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

it is like shipping. We pay it whether we see it on the bill or not. Obviously it costs dentists more. Others?  Many NO,

dentists are the LAST place to have any extra costs to covid, as I stated before they should have been sanatizing way before covid. What were they doing, skimming over things that should have been sterilized? 

Honored Contributor

Once I'm vaccinated, can I just waive the charge and they can send me the items with the Covid?

Just kidding.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Porcelain  Smiley Very Happy

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've certainly seen higher prices, across the board and regardless of retailer or alleged service provider and I would guess the higher prices are regardless of whether their costs have increased or not.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

All vendors are no doubt incorporating increased costs.  Just hope that worker safety is the goal.

Honored Contributor

If this follows trends of the past? I remember the "peanut shortage" temporary price increase, uh huh! Peanuts become more plentiful, but!

When I read about one big company making over seventy billion dollars in one quarter, seems to me, many of their items are way o overpriced.

How many diseases and/or illnesses will follow suit. There are many that have no "absolute" cure.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

If this follows trends of the past? I remember the "peanut shortage" temporary price increase, uh huh! Peanuts become more plentiful, but!

When I read about one big company making over seventy billion dollars in one quarter, seems to me, many of their items are way o overpriced.

How many diseases and/or illnesses will follow suit. There are many that have no "absolute" cure.

hckynut 

@hckynut You have to put the profit in relationship to the total cost of operating the business.

I come from a farm family long ago.  We MADE a lot of money, but our costs to operate with the equipment, fuel, labor and losses for weather etc. were staggering.