Honored Contributor

Vacuuming Up Bird Seed In My Yard

My dog, Ava, has thrown up a few times lately.  I've noticed a lot of birdseed in her vomit and her poop.  (Sorry for being so graphic.)  I've decided to quit feeding the birds in my back yard for that reason.

How can I get rid of the birdseed around the feeders?  Is there such a thing as a vacuum for use outdoors?  It would need to be something with a long cord. 

I've also thought about just covering it with mulch, but it's a big area.  In the meantime I'm watching her when she's in the yard to make sure she doesn't eat the bird seed.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: Vacuuming Up Bird Seed In My Yard

I would rake it up; that should take care of most of it.

As much as I enjoy bird watching, I think feeders are often nothing but trouble.

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr   I've fed them for about 25 years.  I really hate to take the feeders down, but I can't let my dog eat the seeds.  I think there's too many seeds to just rake them up.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack 

If you, a neighbor or relative has access to a leaf blower, they can be reversed to act like a vacuum.

You just take off the blower end and put it on the opposite end of the leaf blower, if that makes any sense.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

Shopvacs are made for that kind of thing.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@NickNack 

If you, a neighbor or relative has access to a leaf blower, they can be reversed to act like a vacuum.

You just take off the blower end and put it on the opposite end of the leaf blower, if that makes any sense.

@KingstonsMom   Great!  I was hoping for something like that.  I'll call the guy that mows my yard.  He has a leaf blower.  Thank you!

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack  I don't know what kind of dog you have but, can you put a mesh fence around the feeders-tall enough so your dog cannot get to the dropped seeds?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack 

You're very welcome!

Another reason you may want to discontinue feeding the birds is that one poster (I forget which one) who responded to my 'Kingston Surgery' thread mentioned that her dog was in the hospital for a week after eating "tainted bird poop".

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@NickNack  I don't know what kind of dog you have but, can you put a mesh fence around the feeders-tall enough so your dog cannot get to the dropped seeds?

@Mz iMac   I have a 22 lb. French Bulldog.  I could put something like that up, but I think it would be hard for my yard guy to mow and deal with it.  

I have a feeder in the front yard that I'll keep up.  I just like to sit on my back porch when it's warm and watch the birds.

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack 

Won't the birds eat it all up in the blink of an eye?

Mine would...............

When spring comes I'm not feeding anymore either. I have too many birds here and it is getting too expensive.They are eating 25lb  bags of seed daily.I too have been feeding for many yrs 30 or more.It helped me when my DH died.