Trusted Contributor

Re: Using Speaker Phone in Private Conversation

I don't like it either as I just want to talk to the person that called me or that I called. And I really don't like it when the person that is listening in, then tries to add to the conversation from the background. Just seems kind of rude to me. 

Valued Contributor

I work in a call center where I have to disclose to every caller that the call is being recorded and monitored after asking their name.  There is nothing more annoying to be in the middle of a conversation with a client and all of a sudden, a spouse, partner, child etc, pipes up with a question.  Full stop, ask for name, say disclosure. On and on and on, all day long.  You wouldn't believe the number of people the have to be the second hand man to the account holder.  I told my husband, he would no longer be my husband if he ever meddled like that.  That is why I despise speaker phones.

Honored Contributor

I can't hear unless I use the speaker.

Yet when the other person uses the speaker, I can tell and it sounds like an echo.

Its also uncomfortable to hold the phone to my ear if I wasn't using the speaker.

I agree, it is the polite thing to do to let people know they are on speaker.

Yet I know some people I call are always using the speaker because they can't hear either.

Baby Boomers are deaf!

Only occasionally will someone ask if I am on using the speaker phone.I don't know why its just sometimes.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I tell them to turn it off.

Honored Contributor

@Mj12 wrote:

My doctor's office actually had to put a sign up - not about limiting cell calls - but to say no Facetiming in the waiting room or anywhere else in that building.  People in the waiting room would carry on conversations on Facetime and whoever they were speaking to, could see others in the waiting room.  They had to put up a sign to not do that, which is crazy.

Geez.  Can people get anymore stupid?  But I wonder if the office enforces that?

There is a sign in my doctor's office about no cell phone usage (same with my bank) but yet people are on their cell phones all the time and no one says a word.  It's frustrating.

Honored Contributor

@mimomof4 wrote:

I do not use Speaker phones for private conversations.  Another thing I find annoying is people who talk to text constantly.  I have been around someone who is constantly doing that in public.  I don't need to hear what she is texting other people.  

I tend to wear ear buds and use those for my phone conversations all the time.  In the car is the only time I have a call on speaker.  My phone is blue toothed to my car radio.  I'm not having a conversation that anyone in the car can't hear - usually just my DH and I talking about who is getting which kid where.

Wow.  You can HEAR what people are texting????  

Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

@mimomof4 wrote:

I do not use Speaker phones for private conversations.  Another thing I find annoying is people who talk to text constantly.  I have been around someone who is constantly doing that in public.  I don't need to hear what she is texting other people.  

I tend to wear ear buds and use those for my phone conversations all the time.  In the car is the only time I have a call on speaker.  My phone is blue toothed to my car radio.  I'm not having a conversation that anyone in the car can't hear - usually just my DH and I talking about who is getting which kid where.

Wow.  You can HEAR what people are texting????  

Lol @chrystaltree - I think she means the phones that have the option to speak the text instead of typing it.  I have that option on my phone.

Honored Contributor

My DD uses speaker phone all the time.  When I catch her, I just ask her to pick up.  She has no problem doing that because she knows I can't hear her with the other background noise I pick up.

My friends use it when we all have a "gather chat" and no noise other than us being silly.

I use it when I'm doing other things, but really don't care for it because I can't focus on the conversation or what I'm doing.  LOL  That's just my fault ... scatter brain.   But, it has come in handy for so many reasons.

Fate whispers to her, "You cannot withstand the storm." She whispers back, "I am the storm."