Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,627
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

Re: Using Speaker Phone in Private Conversation

I always use speaker because I'm always doing something else. I also don't need any of the radiation even though these DECT 6.0 phones put out radiation 24/7 plus goes through your neighbors walls to your house & vice versa. It's like having a mini cell tower in your house.

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 7,652
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Using Speaker Phone in Private Conversation

@Sooner, I hate the phone.  I spent a career with lots of phone time.  Long conversations drive me up the wall.  I have one sister who loves hour long conversations.  Lord!!!  Most I can do with her is 1/2 an hour, trying to keep the peace🙄.  LM

Honored Contributor
Posts: 24,056
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Using Speaker Phone in Private Conversation


@Lilysmom wrote:

@Sooner, I hate the phone.  I spent a career with lots of phone time.  Long conversations drive me up the wall.  I have one sister who loves hour long conversations.  Lord!!!  Most I can do with her is 1/2 an hour, trying to keep the peace🙄.  LM


@Lilysmom  LOL!!!  ME TOO!  I keep telling my husband to download a siren sound on his phone so I can say "Oh gotta hang up now!  Small fire in the kitchen! BYE!  Talk to you later!"

Respected Contributor
Posts: 2,142
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Using Speaker Phone in Private Conversation


@Sooner wrote:

@Lilysmom wrote:

@Sooner, I hate the phone.  I spent a career with lots of phone time.  Long conversations drive me up the wall.  I have one sister who loves hour long conversations.  Lord!!!  Most I can do with her is 1/2 an hour, trying to keep the peace🙄.  LM


@Lilysmom  LOL!!!  ME TOO!  I keep telling my husband to download a siren sound on his phone so I can say "Oh gotta hang up now!  Small fire in the kitchen! BYE!  Talk to you later!"


Woman SurprisedWoman LOLWoman LOL

Honored Contributor
Posts: 9,227
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Using Speaker Phone in Private Conversation


@Nightowlz wrote:

I always use speaker because I'm always doing something else. I also don't need any of the radiation even though these DECT 6.0 phones put out radiation 24/7 plus goes through your neighbors walls to your house & vice versa. It's like having a mini cell tower in your house.


@Nightowlz . Just wait for 5G...it will be here in a few years and we'll have mini cell towers every 500 ft!  There will be more radiation to come.

Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,606
Registered: ‎10-11-2017

Re: Using Speaker Phone in Private Conversation

@gabstoomuch

 

the same has happened to me and now I will only text to most people because as you say....you can't really tell these days when you are on speaker.  I don't expect someone to text me back immediately because I realize they may be driving and I have told all, do not text and drive and neither do I.  There is that sadness knowing I can't get some issue off my chest during a regular voice phone call when you really feel the urge or need to talk to the person you thought you could trust all these gazillion years.  Basically the other person is saying you and your issues are not that important.  

 

I save the real personal stuff for in person conversations and then only with my immediate family.  

 

 

 

 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,889
Registered: ‎03-13-2010

Re: Using Speaker Phone in Private Conversation


@ShowMe wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ......  What has happened to the time when folks were taking the time to just have a conversation with another person without having to do other things while on the phone????  It sort of is like what I'm doing is more important than taking a few minutes to just talk to an individual.  

 

I'm sorry, but this is how I feel about speaker phones.  All you would have to do is say something like "I'll call you back in a little bit, I'm busy at the moment and can't talk".  


I remember very clearly, "back in the day", when my Mom would talk on the phone and do other things at the same time:  Cook dinner, set the table, put out her clothes for the next day, etc.  She cradled the phone between her ear and shoulder.  I did the same, talking on the phone to my friends, in my bedroom as I sat at my desk and did homework, or looked thru my closet, etc.  Many people did the same kind of thing, back then and in the decades that followed when corded phones were the most common.

 

Multi-tasking is nothing new when it comes to talking on the phone.  

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,889
Registered: ‎03-13-2010

Re: Using Speaker Phone in Private Conversation


@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@alliswell wrote:

 

 

In a business setting or a conference call, I feel using a speaker phone is perfectly OK.  But when I speak with someone that I have a personal relationship with, and have known and talked to on a regular basis, and  confided in (an older family member), it was very disconcerting to learn that the other party was using a speaker phone.  I'm still trying to figure out why this makes me uncomfortable -  as if my privacy has been invaded.

 

What are your thoughts regarding use of a speaker phone?

 

 


 

@alliswell

 

???     Are you under the impression that this person wasn't alone, and another was listening?    

 

Aren't you able to tell when you are put on speaker phone?  In my experience, I can always tell when this is happening.


 

I can always tell too.

 

I'm surprised to read the posts saying they can hear better if the call is on speaker phone.  For me, it's the opposite.  I can always tell because it's harder to hear.  Sometimes being on speaker is necessary, but I usually would prefer it not be used. 

 

If I'm having trouble hearing, I always ask if I'm on speaker and 9 times out of 10, the answer is yes, and they take the call off speaker without me having to ask.  When I need to use it, I ask if it's okay if I put them on speaker.  

 

I have no problem with it as long as everyone on the call is aware.  I think it's a courtesy to let the other party know.  (And it should go without saying that no one should be sitting there listening without the person at the other end knowing it's not a one-on-one situation!)

Honored Contributor
Posts: 13,627
Registered: ‎03-11-2010

Re: Using Speaker Phone in Private Conversation


@haddon9 wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

I always use speaker because I'm always doing something else. I also don't need any of the radiation even though these DECT 6.0 phones put out radiation 24/7 plus goes through your neighbors walls to your house & vice versa. It's like having a mini cell tower in your house.


@Nightowlz . Just wait for 5G...it will be here in a few years and we'll have mini cell towers every 500 ft!  There will be more radiation to come.


@haddon9

 

Well that's not good IMO. We don't need anymore radiation. I don't think most people realize this.

Honored Contributor
Posts: 9,227
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Using Speaker Phone in Private Conversation


@Nightowlz wrote:

@haddon9 wrote:

@Nightowlz wrote:

I always use speaker because I'm always doing something else. I also don't need any of the radiation even though these DECT 6.0 phones put out radiation 24/7 plus goes through your neighbors walls to your house & vice versa. It's like having a mini cell tower in your house.


@Nightowlz . Just wait for 5G...it will be here in a few years and we'll have mini cell towers every 500 ft!  There will be more radiation to come.


@haddon9

 

Well that's not good IMO. We don't need anymore radiation. I don't think most people realize this.


@Nightowlz  I agree.  I don't think many people realize the negative consequences of this.  They are only being told how great it will be.