Honored Contributor

Re: Using Speaker Phone in Private Conversation

@ShowMe wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@ShowMe wrote:

@Still Raining wrote:

The ABSOLUTE worst is the idiots who take one into a public restroom stall.  I mean really, how can you do your business????

@Still Raining......believe you are talking about cell phones.....  This is about speaker phones.  A lot of difference between the two.. 

@ShowMe.  Cell phones are also speaker phones. 

@proudlyfromNJ.....I understand that.  That's why I don't use my cell phone unless it's an emergency.  

@ShowMe.  The only reason I commented was that I believe not all but most posters are speaking of cell phones.

Honored Contributor

Reason #193753.

Just text me.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ......  What has happened to the time when folks were taking the time to just have a conversation with another person without having to do other things while on the phone????  It sort of is like what I'm doing is more important than taking a few minutes to just talk to an individual.  

I'm sorry, but this is how I feel about speaker phones.  All you would have to do is say something like "I'll call you back in a little bit, I'm busy at the moment and can't talk".  

Honored Contributor

If i were having a personal, private conversation and I found out that I was on speaker phone with others listening to my private stuff, the other talker will get a strong punch in the nose as soon as I could get to them.  Get the picture?

Esteemed Contributor

I have sensitive hearing and tinnitus.  I use my speaker so as not to aggravate things.  Or, if I'm outside and sweaty I don't like pressing the phone to my face.

I believe that my friends and relatives trust my judgement well enough, to not compromise their privacy or their trust in me.

Don't care when it comes to my business dealings, when I act as a private citizen.  It's incumbent on them to act as professionally and honestly as possible, anyway.  Speaker or no, I'll remember or document the important stuff.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

@gabstoomuch wrote:

Years ago, you could always tell when you were on speaker phone because it sounded different. Hollow, with a tin can type sound.

Now, phones have come so far you really can't tell anymore. That is also true for when someone is talking hands free and the call is going through their car speakers. You have no way of knowing because newer cars are so quiet inside it is impossible to know someone is driving unless they say so.

I hate it when I find out at the very end of a conversation that I was on speaker (for personal phone calls). I feel very betrayed, especially if talking of things personal in nature.

I had a very personal conversation with someone recently, discussing a life problem, I just needed to talk to someone. I thought I could trust this person.

She said something in that conversation that upset me, but I did not address in the moment. However, in a few days I called to discuss her comment. She denied ever saying it! When I said "yes, you did", she came back with "I did not! and I can prove it! My phone was on speakerphone the whole time and my uncle was sitting right next to me on the couch. He heard the whole conversation".

I was at first crushed, then felt very betrayed because of the nature of the call. If I wanted to discuss my business with her whole family I would have gone to her house and had her whole family sit down and listen.

My betrayal turned to anger. I realized that this person is not who I thought she was. Our entire conversation being blasted out on speaker phone showed me she has no boundaries, she had no care there were others in the room, and she didn't have the common decency to even let me know I was on speaker.

I learned a big lesson that day. She is no longer a friend, because now I have no idea how many of our calls have been on speaker, she lied to me, and she brushed off when I asked why she didn't tell me I was on speaker as not a big deal. I realized I was not really her friend if she can't give me the common decency to tell right at "hello".

It affected me so much. Not the loss of a "friend", but now I always ask anyone I call "am I on speaker?". Even if they say no, I am not trusting anymore. It really really affected me.

I hate this new world we live in. There are days when I hate technology, especially phones.

Thank You Everyone for posting and sharing your thoughts and feelings.  

@gabstoomuch  Although our experience is not identical, my feelings match yours. 

Honored Contributor

@ShowMe wrote:

@proudlyfromNJ......  What has happened to the time when folks were taking the time to just have a conversation with another person without having to do other things while on the phone????  It sort of is like what I'm doing is more important than taking a few minutes to just talk to an individual.  

I'm sorry, but this is how I feel about speaker phones.  All you would have to do is say something like "I'll call you back in a little bit, I'm busy at the moment and can't talk".  

when was "that time?" speakerphones have been around for so long now.....

they dont bother me at all, but if i was bothered by it, i would say "can you call me back when you are not on speakerphone/bluetooth." it would not bother me if someone asked me to call them back either.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Well this is a revelation to me.  Unless I would be conveying very private information, which I can't think back to doing, on the phone, I can't understand why someone would care if you are on speaker or not.  I mean when you are in someone's house your talking in front of othe people. . . 

I guess I have boring conversations. 

Honored Contributor

My car is Bluetoothed, so when calls come in, they’re automatically on speaker. If anyone’s in the car w/ me, I just think it’s a courtesy to let them know 1st thing that they’re on speaker. I’d want to know if I was being overhead.

Honored Contributor

In a personal situation, the only time I ever use speaker phone is if I am driving and get a call because it comes through my bluetooth.  If that happens, I always make sure to inform the person who is calling that someone else is in the car with me.  I think that is common courtesy.

In work situations, we always make sure the other party knows they are on speakerphone.