Honored Contributor

Re: Using Speaker Phone in Private Conversation

@tansy wrote:

My husband puts all calls on speaker phone to help him hear the conversation better.

@tansy  I completely get that. My hearing aides are buetoothed to my cell. The conversations go directly to them so I hear much better.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66. The waiting room in my doc office has a big sign to turn off cell phones.

Respected Contributor

I have a friend who frequently puts me on speaker phone and I don’t like it for a few reasons - I can’t hear her as well (she sounds far away), she usually is doing something in the kitchen so things are banging around, and she loses track of what I’m saying because she is focused on doing something else (or maybe she can’t hear me as well) so I have to repeat myself. 

Honored Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

I have a friend who frequently puts me on speaker phone and I don’t like it for a few reasons - I can’t hear her as well (she sounds far away), she usually is doing something in the kitchen so things are banging around, and she loses track of what I’m saying because she is focused on doing something else (or maybe she can’t hear me as well) so I have to repeat myself. 

@itsmagic......yep, exactly.

Trusted Contributor

Can not stand being on speaker phone. I am a very straight forward person.   I tell them "Please take me off speaker phone.  I do not like to be on it."  If they won't, then I say please call me back when you have a chance without the speaker.  

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Annabellethecat66. The waiting room in my doc office has a big sign to turn off cell phones.

@Shanus.  So does mine as does the dentist office.

Honored Contributor

@ShowMe wrote:

@itsmagic wrote:

@itsmagic......yep, exactly.

@ShowMe @itsmagic  I think you are calling at a bad time when she is busy but she doesn't want to be impolite and say she can't talk now; maybe she is someone who doesn't like to talk on the phone.  I'm one of those.  About 5 or 10 minutes tops is all I can stand.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Well this is a revelation to me.  Unless I would be conveying very private information, which I can't think back to doing, on the phone, I can't understand why someone would care if you are on speaker or not.  I mean when you are in someone's house your talking in front of othe people. .

I guess I have boring conversations. 

But when you're in someone's house you can see who's around while you're talking.

Esteemed Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

The ABSOLUTE worst is the idiots who take one into a public restroom stall.  I mean really, how can you do your business????

@Still Raining Pun intended? 😄

Keepin' it real.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@alliswell wrote:

In a business setting or a conference call, I feel using a speaker phone is perfectly OK.  But when I speak with someone that I have a personal relationship with, and have known and talked to on a regular basis, and  confided in (an older family member), it was very disconcerting to learn that the other party was using a speaker phone.  I'm still trying to figure out why this makes me uncomfortable -  as if my privacy has been invaded.

What are your thoughts regarding use of a speaker phone?

@alliswell

???     Are you under the impression that this person wasn't alone, and another was listening?    

Aren't you able to tell when you are put on speaker phone?  In my experience, I can always tell when this is happening.