Honored Contributor

Re: Using Credit Cards Encourages Extra Spending 💳

I'm all but done with my debit card given the issues I've had.  Yes I know that the same could happen with a credit card and I've always gotten my money back when my debit card was compromised but I'd rather deal with a CC getting compromised then a debit card linked to an account where thieves are getting my cash.

I use a CC for a lot now, not utilities though, and what I do is I still write the amount in my checkbook register as if I'm using my debit card and pulling the money out of my checking account.  Then I go into my CC account and pay what I charged.

So this past weekend I grocery shopped, put gas in my car and bought a few things on-line.  All that was entered into my checking account and today I added up all those purchases and paid that amount on my CC. 

I think if I was just charging and waiting to pay everything at the end of the month, I could end up in a little mess.  I know how I am.  LOL        

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I'm all but done with my debit card given the issues I've had.  Yes I know that the same could happen with a credit card and I've always gotten my money back when my debit card was compromised but I'd rather deal with a CC getting compromised then a debit card linked to an account where thieves are getting my cash.

I use a CC for a lot now, not utilities though, and what I do is I still write the amount in my checkbook register as if I'm using my debit card and pulling the money out of my checking account.  Then I go into my CC account and pay what I charged.

So this past weekend I grocery shopped, put gas in my car and bought a few things on-line.  All that was entered into my checking account and today I added up all those purchases and paid that amount on my CC. 

I think if I was just charging and waiting to pay everything at the end of the month, I could end up in a little mess.  I know how I am.  LOL        

Debit cards do not have the same protections that CC do. Most people think they do and they do not. There was a bill a while back to be passed that would give them the same protections but the last time I checked, it still hadn't passed. There are many stories out there where banks didn't cover money stolen out of accounts. My husband had a client who was one of them. He was a soldier and had quite a bit of money taken out of one of his accounts and didn't realize it for weeks because he was fighting overseas when it happened. It took him almost 3 yrs to get his money back. He was told by the bank he was supposed to have notified them within a certain time frame and of course he didn't because of his situation.  If you look at the fine print on most banks concerning debit cards they do have stipulations of time frames they have to be notified within and several other things.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I'm rather shocked that this is considered "news" that everyone hasn't known for most of their life.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201, our debit card has a Visa logo and has the same protection as our credit card.  Our debit card was compromised several times where the card was used on-line to make purchases and the money was pulled out of our checking account.  Everytime, I was contacted by the bank's fraud department or I contacted the bank.  They provisionally replaced the money in our account and I had to go in and sign paperwork that I didn't make the purchases.  The paperwork I signed and submitted was reviewed by the bank board (I deal with a local S&L) at which time it was considered permanently back in my account. 

There was never an issue with getting our money back immediately.     

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@Irshgrl31201, our debit card has a Visa logo and has the same protection as our credit card.  Our debit card was compromised several times where the card was used on-line to make purchases and the money was pulled out of our checking account.  Everytime, I was contacted by the bank's fraud department or I contacted the bank.  They provisionally replaced the money in our account and I had to go in and sign paperwork that I didn't make the purchases.  The paperwork I signed and submitted was reviewed by the bank board (I deal with a local S&L) at which time it was considered permanently back in my account. 

Yes, he had that logo too and it took him that long to get his money back. Debit cards are not listed with the same protections under the Consumer Credit Act and that is what this bill is for. While many banks will offer protection some (even the big ones) need to be persuaded and taken to court to actually cover them. His bank was Bank of America and since he wasn't in a place where he could check his daily balance he didn't know it was missing. In the fine print for BOA it said it would cover theft or fraud but needed to be reported within a 3 day time frame. Many of the banks have the same wording if you read it. He is far from the only person this has happened to. My husband works in finance and he sees it frequently and that is why we don't carry debits and he advises against it until it is listed with the same protections under the CCA.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@Irshgrl31201, that's not true.  

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/050214/credit-vs-debit-cards-which-better.asp

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Debit cards do not have the same protections that CC do. Most people think they do and they do not. There was a bill a while back to be passed that would give them the same protections but the last time I checked, it still hadn't passed. There are many stories out there where banks didn't cover money stolen out of accounts. My husband had a client who was one of them. He was a soldier and had quite a bit of money taken out of one of his accounts and didn't realize it for weeks because he was fighting overseas when it happened. It took him almost 3 yrs to get his money back. He was told by the bank he was supposed to have notified them within a certain time frame and of course he didn't because of his situation.  If you look at the fine print on most banks concerning debit cards they do have stipulations of time frames they have to be notified within and several other things.

Legal protection. These are also notably different, with credit cards offering more security.

Liability for lost or stolen cards. Credit cards still offer much greater protection in most cases for those whose cards are lost or stolen. As long as the customer reports the loss or theft in a timely manner, his/her maximum liability for purchases made after the card disappeared is $50. The Electronic Funds Transfer Act gives debit card customers the same protection from loss or theft – but only if the customer reports it within 48 hours of discovery. After 48 hours, the customer’s liability rises to $500; after 60 days there is no limit.

Disputing transactions. The Fair Credit Billing Act allows credit card users to dispute unauthorized purchases or purchases of goods that are damaged or lost during shipping. But if the item was bought with a debit card, it cannot be reversed unless the merchant is willing to do so. What's more, debit card victims don't get their refund until due process has been completed. Credit card holders, on the other hand, are not assessed the fraudulent charges made in their names. While some credit and debit card providers offer zero-liability protection to their customers, the law is much more forgiving for credit card holders.

Car rentals. If you need to rent a car, most credit cards provide some sort of waiver for collisions. Even if you want to use a debit card, many car rental agencies require customers to provide credit card information as a backup. The only way out may be allowing the rental agency to put a hold of perhaps a few hundred dollars on their bank-account debit card as a form of surety deposit.

The Bottom Line

Smart shoppers who can control their spending are probably wise to reap the benefits offered by credit cards for the majority of their purchases. Debit cards protect the frugal from fees and ensure that less disciplined spenders stay within their means. For more information on the proper use of credit and debit cards, consult your bank or financial advisor.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Yes, he had that logo too and it took him that long to get his money back. Debit cards are not listed with the same protections under the Consumer Credit Act and that is what this bill is for. While many banks will offer protection some (even the big ones) need to be persuaded and taken to court to actually cover them. His bank was Bank of America and since he wasn't in a place where he could check his daily balance he didn't know it was missing. In the fine print for BOA it said it would cover theft or fraud but needed to be reported within a 3 day time frame. Many of the banks have the same wording if you read it. He is far from the only person this has happened to. My husband works in finance and he sees it frequently and that is why we don't carry debits and he advises against it until it is listed with the same protections under the CCA.

@Irshgrl31201, that's not true either.

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/050214/credit-vs-debit-cards-which-better.asp

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Legal protection. These are also notably different, with credit cards offering more security.

Liability for lost or stolen cards. Credit cards still offer much greater protection in most cases for those whose cards are lost or stolen. As long as the customer reports the loss or theft in a timely manner, his/her maximum liability for purchases made after the card disappeared is $50. The Electronic Funds Transfer Act gives debit card customers the same protection from loss or theft – but only if the customer reports it within 48 hours of discovery. After 48 hours, the customer’s liability rises to $500; after 60 days there is no limit.

Disputing transactions. The Fair Credit Billing Act allows credit card users to dispute unauthorized purchases or purchases of goods that are damaged or lost during shipping. But if the item was bought with a debit card, it cannot be reversed unless the merchant is willing to do so. What's more, debit card victims don't get their refund until due process has been completed. Credit card holders, on the other hand, are not assessed the fraudulent charges made in their names. While some credit and debit card providers offer zero-liability protection to their customers, the law is much more forgiving for credit card holders.

Car rentals. If you need to rent a car, most credit cards provide some sort of waiver for collisions. Even if you want to use a debit card, many car rental agencies require customers to provide credit card information as a backup. The only way out may be allowing the rental agency to put a hold of perhaps a few hundred dollars on their bank-account debit card as a form of surety deposit.

The Bottom Line

Smart shoppers who can control their spending are probably wise to reap the benefits offered by credit cards for the majority of their purchases. Debit cards protect the frugal from fees and ensure that less disciplined spenders stay within their means. For more information on the proper use of credit and debit cards, consult your bank or financial advisor.

Your post just showed that debit cards do not have the same protection that credit cards do. There have been thousands of people who have had to wait months even years before their before their money was returned and times when it hasn't been. There has been a bill sitting and waiting to be passed that would offer the same protection as CC do.

My husbands client did not report what happened with his card for over 30 days but less than 45 days and he was out that money until it was resolved with the bank which took several years. 

• If you notify your bank before the card is used by thieves, you aren’t responsible for any charges
  • Your loss is limited to $50 if you notify your financial institution within two business days after learning of the theft
  • After that, your loss could be as high as $500 as long as you report within 60 days of your account statement being printed
  • After that, you risk unlimited loss and responsibility for charges in your account

If you still have your card but somebody stole your card number, you have 60 days to report any fraudulent transactions and have the bank cover the losses. After 60 days, you're responsible for the charges.

While it doesn't sound plausible there are situations and have most definitely been situations where people have not been able to check their balances and did not report it for 60 days and they were responsible for whatever was taken. It happened to my husbands client and his was reported before 30 days and he was out around $20k until it was resolved which took a lot of time. 

My husband is asleep but I will ask him tomorrow what the bill is called. I am going to bed shortly too. 

JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

The Bottom Line

Your post just showed that debit cards do not have the same protection that credit cards do. There have been thousands of people who have had to wait months even years before their before their money was returned and times when it hasn't been. There has been a bill sitting and waiting to be passed that would offer the same protection as CC do.

My husbands client did not report what happened with his card for over 30 days but less than 45 days and he was out that money until it was resolved with the bank which took several years. 

• If you notify your bank before the card is used by thieves, you aren’t responsible for any charges
  • Your loss is limited to $50 if you notify your financial institution within two business days after learning of the theft
  • After that, your loss could be as high as $500 as long as you report within 60 days of your account statement being printed
  • After that, you risk unlimited loss and responsibility for charges in your account

If you still have your card but somebody stole your card number, you have 60 days to report any fraudulent transactions and have the bank cover the losses. After 60 days, you're responsible for the charges.

While it doesn't sound plausible there are situations and have most definitely been situations where people have not been able to check their balances and did not report it for 60 days and they were responsible for whatever was taken. It happened to my husbands client and his was reported before 30 days and he was out around $20k until it was resolved which took a lot of time. 

My husband is asleep but I will ask him tomorrow what the bill is called. I am going to bed shortly too. 

@Irshgrl31201, this could also depend on the Bank itself.  This happened to my nephew!  He didn't wait years or months to get his money back.  It took them about four days to investigate and his money was refunded to him.

It has happened to me too, and my money was returned immediately (pending the investigation).  Investigation complete and my $$ and the money returned to me was in the clear.  Not all of them are (mine was tied to my bank accounts).

There are differences in so much that a debit card may be tied to your bank accounts while a credit card is credit that is extended to you (borrowed).   .  Not all debit cards are tied to a bank account.  Have you ever seen those commercials for these cards people can get their paychecks sent to that will let them access their pay at least two days sooner?  Those debit cards with Master Card and Visa Logos are not tied to anyone's bank.  

*Call Tyrone*
Esteemed Contributor

I only use my bank ATM card, I have no credit cards and dont want any lol.. My husband (who I married 10 yrs ago), has 2 mostly for Christmas shopping and emergencies. (but I do use the one for shopping at Christmas online only). PS My dad never had a credit card in his life. He used to pay with cash. He said if you cant afford it you dont buy it. (I agree!).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles