Respected Contributor

Re: Update regarding Italy and the virus

@vsm wrote:

@BhvbumThe original WHO test kits were shown to produce too many false positives and too many false negatives to be generally reliable.  The new kits, which began rolling out last week, were designed to reduce those problems. 

This is no time for misinformation continued to be spread,

Dr. Joseph Fair, Infectious Disease, said today that the CDC developed their own home grown test that was flawed when tested for accuracy. They had to start from scratch again.

This long after the gold-standard test by the World Health Org. was being rolled out and used in the rest of the world.  He used it in Africa the first of Feb. long after China was up and running with the test.  This is the test the rest of the world continues to use.

You have wrong information.  

Honored Contributor

@Johnnyeager wrote:

The statistics for South Korea, which has implemented aggressive testing may be more indicative of the disease than the WHO numbers which are heavily skewed toward China and Iran.

As of this morning, the Mortality Rate is approximately 1.5% based upon confirmed cases.

Of those cases still considered "active" 99% exhibit mild symptoms, 1% serious or critical.

@Johnnyeager, if that lower percentage is true (I think it's actually very hard to determine at this point), it still far more than for the flu.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

I won't argue that the Mortality Rate is clearly higher than the flu, thus far.  But it certainly is not as indicated by statistics in Iran   And, of course, it will drop with testing and early intervention, which did not happen in China and Iran.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

And for some reason, people think this isn't going to happen here or happen to them.

If not now, if not this particular virus,  then sometime in the future. 

I don't get how people don't see that there is a possibility for them to be us, us to be them, and always think it's overblown and 'far away'. 

@Mominohio -

I've thought about this too and I think this is a normal human defense mechanism for a lot. Just like we hear people say all the time, "I never thought it would happen here", whether it's a murder, an earthquake or whatever.

But along with myself and I bet many others, we are waking up to hey, this is not just happening to the other guy!

We are all at risk of getting it or exposing others by unknown contact. So, we do have to do everything we can to make it spread as less as possible by following the guidelines states and the cdc have set out. 

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Valued Contributor

@wakefield64 wrote:

Why are we not testing people coming back here from Italy when the situation is so serious there?  Is this taking all the precautions that we can...no, it is not.

@wakefield64  Are they not testing people that are coming from Italy? or really any hot spot for that matter? I would think they would be testing EVERYONE coming from overseas :-( How scary is that.

When you think of everything we ALL are trying to do to stop the spread of this and here they are allowing folks in without testing them...SMH It's kinda like pissin' in the wind huh?

~ Hope in TN ~
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Johnnyeager wrote:

The statistics for South Korea, which has implemented aggressive testing may be more indicative of the disease than the WHO numbers which are heavily skewed toward China and Iran.

As of this morning, the Mortality Rate is approximately 1.5% based upon confirmed cases.

Of those cases still considered "active" 99% exhibit mild symptoms, 1% serious or critical.

@Johnnyeager, if that lower percentage is true (I think it's actually very hard to determine at this point), it still far more than for the flu.

I too don't think that percentage rate is something we can really rely on at this time. I think we are well out from having what it will actually be. I'm not saying it is high or low, just that I don't believe we are even close to having it locked down.

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

And for some reason, people think this isn't going to happen here or happen to them.

I don't get how people don't see that there is a possibility for them to be us, us to be them, and always think it's overblown and 'far away'. 

____________________________________________________-

@Mominohio, I think that is the major concern of course.  All the public health experts I know are holding their breaths and hoping that the number of cases anywhere are such that the local health care system can handle them.

I don't think the average lay person really understands just how quickly a region can be overwhelmed with not having enough emergency or critical care supplies to meet the need for patients all at once.  Then you have to worry about the health care workers getting sick and fewer of them to be able to care for the patients.

Did anyone happen to see the picture of the nurse in Italy that has excoriations on her face from the time she had to wear her mask and face shield before she could disrobe from personal protective equipment? 

Bless her heart is all I can say.  And reminds me that a couple of weeks ago a couple of us as nurses tried to tell people that wearing those N95 respirator masks are hot and uncomfortable. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

____________________________________________________-

@Mominohio, I think that is the major concern of course.  All the public health experts I know are holding their breaths and hoping that the number of cases anywhere are such that the local health care system can handle them.

I don't think the average lay person really understands just how quickly a region can be overwhelmed with not having enough emergency or critical care supplies to meet the need for patients all at once.  Then you have to worry about the health care workers getting sick and fewer of them to be able to care for the patients.

Did anyone happen to see the picture of the nurse in Italy that has excoriations on her face from the time she had to wear her mask and face shield before she could disrobe from personal protective equipment? 

Bless her heart is all I can say.  And reminds me that a couple of weeks ago a couple of us as nurses tried to tell people that wearing those N95 respirator masks are hot and uncomfortable. 

We have a great health care system here, not perfect, but great.  I don't think people have any idea though, as you point out, how easily it can be overwhelmed when something so broad and fast moving as this hits. 

I believe too, that the people standing at those podiums every day are holding their breath. I think that is why there is so much push to social distance, and stop large crowd gatherings, go to virtual learning etc. The virus is so easily spread, and trying to not overwhelm the health care system is as much or more the point, than it being about a large percentage of deaths from the virus. 

My guess is that the economic impact of this is going to be much more what is felt and remembered, than the death toll, or severity of illness people suffer from. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

as @wakefield64  said,

I heard on one of the news stations that no, people reported that they were not checked for temperature or questions when coming in from Italy. I found that hard to imagine but that's what was reported!

It's like yeah, everyone trying everything they can and just mess it up by ignoring one of the most important things they can do?! I don't get it either.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I heard the same thing -- that students returning from study abroad programs in Italy were not checked when they re-entered the U.S.  One student was self-reporting this, too.  She was flabbergasted that there was no one present to screen her group when they arrived back at the airport.