Honored Contributor

Re: Update on Market Research Reject -- Important -- Please Read

A lot of scams look like they're from real sources. I'd never provide that much personal info to anyone online. I didn't even have to provide all that to buy my home.

Occasional Contributor

E-Rewards is NOT a scam. I've had an account with them for many, many years. I started when I was able to redeem rewards for miles on Northwest Airlines. Of course, NWA no longer exists, and Delta doesn't participate, so I'm not all that active on the site.

Yes, it is a bit of a pain to get started, largely due to the huge number of questions you need to answer in order to complete your profile. But you can always choose to not answer a specific question. You just might not get surveys that match your interests.

Yes, their surveys seem to collect a huge amount of personal info. When a survey asks questions that I don't want to answer, I either bail out of it or select "choose not to respond" or "refused". 

Yes, their rewards seem to be lacking. It would be better if they rewarded people in terms of points rather than currency. Current redemption levels are roughly $3 in E-rewards currency for $1 in whatever giftcard you're choosing. But I just got a Ralph Lauren embroidered/eyelet polo from Macy's for $6.92 out of pocket by redeeming my rewards. And I still have over 700 points left. 

E-rewards isn't for everyone. But it is NOT a scam, and you can always refuse to provide personal info. 

~not a new poster, never been banned, every time I take a break I have to re-register for some unknown reason~
Respected Contributor

@FrostyBabe2  I'm so glad you posted this information and I'm glad you have had a positive experience with e-Rewards. I still consider its program to be deceptive, and IMHO if it's deceptive, it's a scam.

Have you ever had any problem claiming your rewards? Have you received marketing materials that may have been generated by e-Rewards?

Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@Kachina624 

I was wondering the same thing about why the author of this thread @PickyPicky3 would even want to do any of the things mentionec.

If I fill out anything and it gets to "annual income"? I stop without saying a thing. So they have my name/address etc. but anyone that has ever been on any website and thinks their private information is private?

Time to move into this era of the new technology.

hckynut  🇺🇸

@Kachina624 wrote:

Qurestion...  @PickyPicky3   Why is it so important to you to complete a time-consuming, highly personal opinion survey?  If they want more than a yes or no opinion ion, I'm gone.  I also won't leave an email address.

@hckynutjohn 

When I see income and age and marital status (single, married, divorced, widowed---🙄)  its a BIG RED FLAG and a NO GO!  Sounds like their phising for more than prefercences on products ......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

The basic questions of age, marital status, income, etc. have been used in legitimate market and opinion research since the beginning. That information is important to a company for advertising and planning purposes.

The problem comes when researchers sell your data to companies, political parties, and other kinds of organizations. Then you can get bombarded with ads, solicitations, and other things not wanted.

The e-Rewards website says they don't sell your data, but if you work through their privacy policies the small print says otherwise.

Last night I got a request from Amica Insurance to complete a survey. Haven't heard from them in a while. It was a short, intelligent and relevant survey on how my driving experience has changed since the pandemic. I was glad to help them out.

Esteemed Contributor

@PickyPicky3 

The questions you mentioned with reference: "since the beginning", was decades before this thing called the internet. I too filled out forms, sent to me, but only with a product I purchased via mail order

When I bought in a B&M store, I don't remember being asked to fill out a research form. A form for a payment plan, yes. For research purposes, no. These B&M stores interests were increasing their customer base, not making money from selling information to others. Online research? 

You look at many free online websites where you pay no money to get answers and recommendations. Many don't give a thought to "I wonder how they operate without charging for their service". Hello people.

I have been invited to groups where I was paid, along with several others. We were asked to offer the good and the bad about our experiences with whomever this info company was representing. Guess you could call this similar to political focus groups, with pay however.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

I get emails for stuff like that all the time. The latest is a delivery notice saying my pkg couldn't be delivered since I wasn't home, etc. I get about 6-8 if the same notice everyday. It asks for alternative address and a other form of payment....I just delete it now but nowhere to unsubscribe.

Honored Contributor

I had a job as a teenager trying to get people to complete surveys. Miserable job.

As an adult, completing a marketing survey is the LAST thing I would do. 🤣 🥴 The only exceptions are occasionally from vendors I currently do business with and they ask for product and buying feedback.
Respected Contributor

I know most of these companies just sell whatever info you give them, then you will be deluged forever with promos, emails, and even more surveys aka fundraising asks.. It will only get worse with a midterm election coming up in a few months. 

Honored Contributor

They then sell that info. And anything they say they won't sell can be hacked or sold under new management.

That'd be a nope from me. Kroger already knows everything about my lifestyle from the data gathered by my rewards card. No need to hook that up to my bank accounts and investments as well.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr