Respected Contributor

A good deed should be taken that way. Picking it apart is just silly. 

Honored Contributor

I often drive by a house that has a stable and horses. They have bags of manure with a Free Manure sign.

Other than fertilizer it could be used to get even with porch pirates.

Honored Contributor

My DH owns two snow blowers, one is a medium size and the other one is a monster.  When we have large snow storms, he clears out the drive ways of a few elderly neighbors. They always thank him and seem thrilled.  One poor gentleman spent a few days trying to get things cleared up, when my DH can clear it in 10 minutes.

There is also a young neighbor who does the same when he can.

During the summer months, my DH cuts the grass of our neighbors at our lake place.  We sped a lot of time there and some of our neighbors are only there one weekend a month.  They do the same for us if we aren't there.

One summer neighbor has asked that his grass not be cut by anyone and he was on his own. He has since moved.

I water the flowers on the neighbor's deck when they aren't there for a while. They didn't ask me, but they are so beautiful and I would hate to see them dry up and die.  She knows and has never complained. She also has thanked me.

We also put our extra vegetables from the garden on our neighbors porch.  They thank  us when they see us.

We do not do favors inside of others homes unless we are asked.  Often neighbors ask my DH to do electrical work for them..installing a new light, a door bell or adding a new electrical outlet.  He always does so.

I am glad we have really nice neighbors at our home and at the summer lake place.  We all help each other when we can.  We have lived in our home since 1988 with no issues and at the summer place since 2000 with no issues there either.

Respected Contributor

A very good friend of mine came over and mowed and edged the lawn while I was out of state for three weeks. He went ahead and edged the next door neighbor's driveway as a favor. The neighbor went all crazy. I guess that's okay but he didn't have to act like that.

Honored Contributor

I am alone and an older person.  When it snows, my young neighbor snow blows my side walk, my front walk and part of my driveway.  He also cleans off my car.  I always thank him for his kindness and he replies that is what neighbors are for!  Because I am not physically able to clean up the snow, I am very grateful and appreciate the act of kindness.  

In the house I prefer to take charge because I know where things belong and how I want the house to look.  However, I would  welcome help but I would have to supervise!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

A few years back my neighbor, who I am friendly with, was having work done in his yard and he asked if I needed anything done.  I was working at the time and wasn't home when the gardner came. I had seven healthy Rose of Sharon trees that separated our properties and served well as privacy.  They needed a good trim and I asked that he have them trimmed to five or six feet so I could manage them better.  I trusted him. When I came home they were all completely taken down with the stumps left.  I was so upset!  He said they will be fine and will grow back. They never did.  He didn't ask me, but I did not pay for the destruction. Without my asking he had someone remove the stumps.  He can be a bit nosy so now he could see right in my yard.  

Esteemed Contributor

Anyone is welcome to do whatever to help me out.  Want to clean my kitchen, go for it.  Rake leaves OK and I'll happily pull my car out of the garage if you want to wash it.  When family comes for the weekend I usually have to call and ask where they put certain things after the do what ever they did.  LOL  I would be happy if I never had to cook or clean again.  

Respected Contributor

My former mother in law came over while I was at work one day and dug up all the daylilies underneath one of my shrubs as she thought they were awful. LOL 

Needless to say, I was surprised and disappointed. 

Honored Contributor
I would appreciate a neighbor’s desire to be kind, but it is also presumptuous. Ask first, then they can accept or decline.
Honored Contributor

Re: Unwanted Good Deeds

[ Edited ]

@cindyNC wrote:

My former mother in law came over while I was at work one day and dug up all the daylilies underneath one of my shrubs as she thought they were awful. LOL 

Needless to say, I was surprised and disappointed. 

@cindyNC, that's not even remotely a "good" deed." Sounds as if she was a tad controlling, and I'd also throw in passive-aggressive. :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland