Honored Contributor

Unexpected Compliments Can Really Make a Day

I’m not someone who is striking-looking (or mostly ever has been), an expensive or chic dresser due to lifestyle and income restraints, or “noticeable” really in any way. I’m very average.

When I get an unexpected compliment from a stranger about hair, skin, eyes, an article of clothing or accessory I’m carrying/using, or something I said or did, it makes my day. 

Just yesterday I was out putzing around. It was chilly and breezy so I was wearing jeggings and a sweatshirt. I was having a late lunch/early dinner. Two women sitting at a booth next to me both told me that I looked very attractive wearing the color of the sweatshirt. Something they didn’t have to say; it was so nice. I also get compliments on a bag I purchased several months ago, literally every time I go out. Just makes ya feel good.

I try, and I’m getting easier with it over time, to do the same thing - tell a stranger I like their sweater, hairstyle/color, jewelry, whatever - because it’s a nice, honest thing to do. It doesnt come naturally to everyone, but you can learn. I’m a bit shy about it, but it’s fun too. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Re: Unexpected Compliments Can Really Make a Day

@Moonchilde I just posted this on another thread minutes ago. I knew it was for someone and now I know who.78B06FFB-1FF2-46C2-A8B7-E3DEC1A09D8E.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde   You are so correct; a compliment costs the donor absolutely nothing but can be priceless to the recipient.  It can indeed make your day.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

You sound like such a sweet woman. "Putzing" around Smiley LOL  If I saw you I would compliment you constantly.  You are a treasure beautiful inside and out and I would tell you that directly.  

Honored Contributor

Moonchilde - I agree.

I'm not good at taking the compliments (I don't act badly, I just feel shy about it) but I'm not too shy about giving them.  I just want to make sure, and hope that the person takes it that way, that it's genuine - not bs and not trying to get something, that I'm truly sharing how I feel.

Every now and then I encounter another woman who is just stunningly beautiful.   Sometimes I will say 'you are so beautiful' not gushing or anything like somebody's creepy uncle Smiley Wink  just saying what's true.

Some people will love hearing that in a demure way and I love that.

But if somebody compliments me I tend to shy back - not glaringly so or without grace.  I just feel shy about that sort of thing. I guess I grew up and never had gotten used to being complimented and it felt in a way to which I could not relate.   I've grown into it, but will probably always be a bit shy about it.

Honored Contributor

I'm a shy person, I always have been, but when someone's perfume smells good or they have on cute shoes etc. I speak up. I guess it's because it makes me feel so good to get a compliment out of the blue, that .I overcome my reticence.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

@chickenbutt@Moonchilde  You both sound like beautiful women to me inside and out.   Those that don't take complimets easily are the most deserving of them and very special people.      

Respected Contributor

I agree, unexpected compliments are like a little surprise gift. How lovely for you.

Being a real extrovert it is easy for me to pass along compliments, especially about jewelry. It is wonderful to spread a little joy.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt, when we stop being shy about it and start not being surprised, then we have a problem ;-)

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

I always give compliments to whoever I see when I am out and about. A smile is a beautiful thing. We should all be more aware of our surroundings.